Stream: project-error-handling

Topic: fix the error trait PR finalization


view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 09 2020 at 18:56):

@oliver , wrt the fix the error trai tPR

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 09 2020 at 18:56):

I checked it out and I think there are a few more steps we need to complete before final review can start

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 09 2020 at 18:57):

most of them are already in progress, aka @Ashley Mannix fixing the fmt repr inconsistencies in the panic output and @Jakub Duchniewicz fixing merge conflicts

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 09 2020 at 18:58):

there is one bit where I think we need to update the PR, it still has a bullet item for the backtrace precision

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 09 2020 at 18:58):

but the consensus from the issue it links to is that we shouldn't block stabilization on that feature request

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 09 2020 at 18:58):

so I think we should remove that bullet from the issue

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 09 2020 at 18:58):

@Ashley Mannix do you know how I'd go about getting that bullet removed?

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 09 2020 at 18:58):

I'm planning on attending the libs meeting today, should I bring that up?

view this post on Zulip oliver (Dec 09 2020 at 20:50):

thanks for making this a separate topic!

view this post on Zulip oliver (Dec 09 2020 at 20:58):

I'm looking forward to wrapping up this task

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 10 2020 at 23:49):

my pleasure

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 10 2020 at 23:49):

just a quick update, I talked with the libs team a bit yesterday and I think we have a good idea of what we need to do to move forward

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 10 2020 at 23:50):

we're gonna finish the fmt change PR, resolve merge conflicts, remove the precision flag bullet, and then we write the stabilization report and do any doc updates necessary

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 10 2020 at 23:50):

pretty much confirming the plan from above

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 02 2021 at 10:42):

Hey, just jumping in to tell I will do the merge before our next meeting. Holiday season got pretty time-consuming :)

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 02 2021 at 11:35):

Just curious if this is alright if I push merge changes to withoutboats' feature branch (this will trigger GH update to the PR)?

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 02 2021 at 11:40):

maybe I am wrong, but the only way I see this can work is to make a PR to withoutboats' repository and then they accept it and the PR on the main rust repo is updated with the changes

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 02 2021 at 11:40):

difficult git stuff :stuck_out_tongue:

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 02 2021 at 13:10):

Ok I figured some other way

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 02 2021 at 13:12):

I added withoutboats' as a remote and tried rebasing it onto current master and then added the necessary changes (as the files have moved around the directories)

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 02 2021 at 13:12):

dunno if this is proper

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 02 2021 at 13:16):

however I as soon as I rebase boats' branch onto new master I get info that remote is diverged from local branch

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 02 2021 at 13:17):

I think I need a hand in here :frown:

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 02 2021 at 13:18):

all I need to do is rebase their branch onto the master branch and add the necessary merge fixes and push the commit to boats' repo

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 02 2021 at 13:18):

this will update the PR

view this post on Zulip Joshua Nelson (Jan 02 2021 at 14:31):

Jakub Duchniewicz said:

however I as soon as I rebase boats' branch onto new master I get info that remote is diverged from local branch

that's how rebasing works, every time you rebase you need to force-push

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 02 2021 at 15:43):

@Jakub Duchniewicz what kind of errors are you seeing?

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 02 2021 at 20:26):

right (always afraid of force-pushing :smiley: )

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 02 2021 at 20:26):

I tried commiting just now and got a problem on x.py script updating submodules

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 02 2021 at 20:27):

Running pre-commit script '/mnt/games/Projects/rust/x.py test tidy --bless'
Updating only changed submodules
Updating submodule src/doc/nomicon
Submodule path 'src/doc/nomicon': checked out 'a5a48441d411f61556b57d762b03d6874afe575d'
fatal: .git/index: index file open failed: Not a directory
failed to run: git reset -q --hard

view this post on Zulip Joshua Nelson (Jan 02 2021 at 20:29):

@Jakub Duchniewicz https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/77620

view this post on Zulip Joshua Nelson (Jan 02 2021 at 20:29):

or at least it looks similar

view this post on Zulip Joshua Nelson (Jan 02 2021 at 20:29):

the fix is to unset GIT_DIR in the precommit script

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 02 2021 at 20:34):

hmm it seems like it is already this way

view this post on Zulip scottmcm (Jan 02 2021 at 22:23):

Jakub Duchniewicz said:

right (always afraid of force-pushing :smiley: )

The good news of force pushing is that github now tracks them, so you can get back the old commits if needed.

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 08 2021 at 12:27):

Ok I found out the problem was with submodules

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 08 2021 at 12:27):

after running git submodule update I managed to do the commi

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 08 2021 at 12:27):

only problem is that I have no write access rights to boats' repo

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 08 2021 at 12:28):

not sure how to approach that though

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 08 2021 at 12:28):

@Jane Lusby ping to make sure I am doing everything properly :smile:

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 08 2021 at 23:00):

yea, that sounds about right

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 08 2021 at 23:00):

let me start with finishing getting you added to the rust organization on github

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 08 2021 at 23:00):

because that might make a difference, unsure

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 08 2021 at 23:10):

@Jakub Duchniewicz have you pushed the fixed branch to your fork?

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 08 2021 at 23:11):

I don't see it in https://github.com/JDuchniewicz/rust/branches

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 08 2021 at 23:11):

gonna try attacking this from multiple angles

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 08 2021 at 23:11):

while I wait for the team updates to land I'm gonna see if I can just get boats to reset their branch to yours

view this post on Zulip Charles Ellis O'Riley Jr. (Jan 09 2021 at 02:05):

Did you receive my feedback? I just noticed the invite email

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 09 2021 at 02:05):

your feedback?

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 09 2021 at 02:06):

I'm not sure

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 09 2021 at 02:06):

in zulip?

view this post on Zulip Charles Ellis O'Riley Jr. (Jan 09 2021 at 02:06):

Wrong word. Sorry. I responded to the email I received, invite, to rust-lang.

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 09 2021 at 02:07):

ah!

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 09 2021 at 02:07):

excellent

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 09 2021 at 02:07):

you should receive notifications now when we get pinged in github

view this post on Zulip Charles Ellis O'Riley Jr. (Jan 09 2021 at 02:07):

Cool.

view this post on Zulip Noah Lev (Jan 09 2021 at 02:07):

The invite email is automated; it's sent a bit after the PR to rust-lang/team is merged.

view this post on Zulip Charles Ellis O'Riley Jr. (Jan 09 2021 at 02:08):

What's with the 2 part authentication?

view this post on Zulip Noah Lev (Jan 09 2021 at 02:09):

It's a security measure – you can ask in #t-infra if you want to learn more.

view this post on Zulip Charles Ellis O'Riley Jr. (Jan 09 2021 at 02:09):

ok

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 09 2021 at 10:38):

Hmm I just added boats' repo as a remote and created a branch tracking theirs PR branch

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 09 2021 at 10:46):

I will push this branch to my fork then

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 09 2021 at 10:49):

it is now pushed

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 09 2021 at 10:49):

https://github.com/JDuchniewicz/rust/commit/c655b81e8942ac0dd370618d324a308407b635dd

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 09 2021 at 10:50):

I could open a PR to boats' repo now but I don't know if this is the way

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 09 2021 at 10:51):

hence waiting for feedback and focusing on my other task in the meantime :)

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 09 2021 at 14:14):

oh I should probably bump to 1.51

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 09 2021 at 14:15):

like Ashley did in here

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 09 2021 at 14:58):

:+1:

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 09 2021 at 15:28):

still no permissions to force-push to boats' repo

view this post on Zulip Charles Ellis O'Riley Jr. (Jan 09 2021 at 17:47):

Good afternoon. After I create the people.toml file, how do I get it to the appropriate party?

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 09 2021 at 17:48):

@Charles Ellis O'Riley Jr. Oh, there's no need

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 09 2021 at 17:48):

I already made a people file for u

view this post on Zulip Charles Ellis O'Riley Jr. (Jan 09 2021 at 17:48):

Thank you.

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 09 2021 at 17:56):

So not sure what to do next... I have the merge commits on my fork but I cannot add them to the PR (or can I?)

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 09 2021 at 18:03):

I don't think you can, I'm working on it

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 09 2021 at 18:03):

Ive already contacted boats, waiting on a reply

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 09 2021 at 18:03):

We might need to make a new PR but let's not do that yet

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 09 2021 at 18:04):

My hope is they'll just pull your code themselves

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 09 2021 at 18:11):

ok, thank you for help!

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 13 2021 at 09:33):

there is still some error, the #![feature(backtrace)] attribute should be now removed from rustc_errors/src/lib.rs

view this post on Zulip Ashley Mannix (Jan 13 2021 at 09:35):

:big_smile: Well... Guess I’ll just keep pushing that branch then. I hope boats doesn’t mind me just coming along and poking around

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 14 2021 at 12:19):

matklad suggested that BacktraceStatus be Cloneable

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 14 2021 at 12:22):

looks sensible to me as all fields are simple


Last updated: Jan 26 2022 at 14:02 UTC