Stream: project-error-handling

Topic: Meeting 2021-04-12


view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 17:23):

Meeting in approximately 1 hour 40 minutes

view this post on Zulip oliver (Apr 12 2021 at 17:30):

agenda is on GH

view this post on Zulip Charles Ellis O'Riley Jr. (Apr 12 2021 at 17:43):

:+1:

view this post on Zulip oliver (Apr 12 2021 at 17:44):

calibrate your time keeping devices

view this post on Zulip Charles Ellis O'Riley Jr. (Apr 12 2021 at 17:44):

?

view this post on Zulip oliver (Apr 12 2021 at 17:45):

daylight savings aftermath

view this post on Zulip oliver (Apr 12 2021 at 17:47):

it's been painful but in the end worth the struggle

view this post on Zulip Charles Ellis O'Riley Jr. (Apr 12 2021 at 17:47):

ok

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 18:55):

Agenda: https://hackmd.io/@rust-libs/SkHdDGGU_

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 18:55):

5 minute warning

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:01):

Alrighty, meeting time

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:01):

o/

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:02):

So let's start with action items from the last meeting

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:02):

I still need to summarize the zulip 3rd party library discussion, will do that ASAP

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:03):

The blog post and changes to the API guidelines are currently blocked on me talking with @nikomatsakis, which we're aiming to schedule this week, schedules permitting

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:03):

Though I'll also need to revise the blog post I assume, once I've talked to niko

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:04):

@Charles Ellis O'Riley Jr. is working steadily on the diagram, and I know you're currently waiting for my next round of feedback on that

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:04):

sorry for not getting to it, last week got eaten by an emergency

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:04):

But I'll be replying to you with that feedback today

view this post on Zulip Charles Ellis O'Riley Jr. (Apr 12 2021 at 19:04):

np

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:05):

@Jakub Duchniewicz can you remind me what we're waiting on for the Termination trait stabilization?

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:05):

is it just the specialization issue?

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Apr 12 2021 at 19:05):

Yes, we are waiting for the specialization

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:05):

oof, okay

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:06):

that is likely something that I will need to escalate, because I don't see that being unblocked any time soon

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:06):

so we might want to decouple those

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:07):

I'm going to update the action item there and assign it to myself

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Apr 12 2021 at 19:07):

The rest should be fine, some decisions related to underlying representation of error are still to be made

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Apr 12 2021 at 19:07):

Ok, sure

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:08):

okay, done there

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:09):

backtrace in core, I know @Jakub Duchniewicz worked on that a bit and we're still running into issues with the lang items not letting us separate the impl

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Apr 12 2021 at 19:10):

I think we need some support from the compiler team

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:10):

yea

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Apr 12 2021 at 19:10):

I tried talking with them but it died out soon

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:11):

I want to continue working on this implementation myself this week time permitting

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:11):

not sure I'll get to it though

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:11):

I also plan on updating the generic member access RFC

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:11):

I just wrote up a comment in the PR detailing my next steps

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:11):

Looks like we still need to update the RFC for "Fix the Error trait"

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:12):

I can look into doing that myself, though I think I'll need to harass people for the appropriate github permissions

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:13):

The last two items are in the same state as before, I'll get to them when I can but they're not high priority atm

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:14):

gonna hold off on status updates for now and do triage on the new issues that got added to the agenda

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:14):

https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/46871

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:14):

"why hasn't NoneError" implemented Error

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:14):

I need to read this issue thread but in general I think its safe to say we won't be adding that impl

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:15):

My feeling is essentially that an option being None is not fundamentally an Error

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:15):

and so NoneError shouldn't exist, which makes the question of should it implement Error moot

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:16):

I'm going to add this issue to our board so we don't lose track of it

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:18):

https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/79692

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:19):

This one I just need to re-open as a new PR and push forward

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:19):

adding to our board as well

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:20):

https://github.com/rust-lang/compiler-team/issues/410 looks awesome

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:21):

but I don't think there is any work needed from us on that implementation

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:21):

so for now I'm not going to track that further, compiler team has it covered

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:22):

https://users.rust-lang.org/t/an-essay-of-checked-exceptions-in-rust/57769

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:22):

I did read this one

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:22):

very nice to have that user feedback on the approach they're testing out

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:22):

no action items related to it that I can see however

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:23):

https://users.rust-lang.org/t/using-the-return-operator-in-the-match-expression-early-return-of-an-error/58025/9

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:23):

this one seems to be a user getting feedback on some rust semantics, also unrelated to us I think

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:23):

That's it for triage I thikn

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:24):

Light meeting I suppose, given the break

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:24):

Anything anyone else wants to bring up?

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:25):

I guess for status updates I know @Sean Chen is waiting on me writing up the proposals for adding reporting functionality to the language / standard library

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:25):

@triagebot end-meeting

view this post on Zulip triagebot (Apr 12 2021 at 19:25):

Does anyone have something to bring up?
React with :working_on_it: if you have something to say.
React with :all_good: if you're ready to end the meeting.

view this post on Zulip scottmcm (Apr 12 2021 at 19:51):

Jane Lusby said:

I need to read this issue thread but in general I think its safe to say we won't be adding that impl

:heart:

Once the Try impl no longer needs NoneError, I think this conversation can hopefully go away.

That said, once NoneError is no longer related to the ? dance, it might make sense for it to become a real Error as something like T: TryFrom<Option<T>, Error = NoneError>.

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:53):

o, interesting point

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Apr 12 2021 at 19:54):

curious to see examples usages of a bound like this


Last updated: Jan 26 2022 at 14:20 UTC