Stream: project-error-handling

Topic: Meeting 2021-03-01


view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 18:43):

Meeting in 17 minutes

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 18:43):

Agenda: https://hackmd.io/@rust-libs/rJUiBn5fu

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 18:44):

@Jakub Duchniewicz is on break and won't be attending today

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:00):

Meeting time

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:00):

Hello everyone

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:04):

ohey

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:04):

we got some waves

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:04):

got distracted when nobody showed up at first

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:05):

_puts away github notifications_

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:05):

Alright so we will start with reviewing action items

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:05):

I will probably start doing some pre meeting triage soon

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:05):

because rn our action item list is growing pretty quickly

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:05):

lol

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:06):

from our last meeting:

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:06):

we got the recurring meeting setup

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:06):

for the book meeting

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:06):

I still haven't updated the API guidelines but I want to hold off on that until I've finished the blog post I'm working on

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:07):

the very first section of the blog post is going to cover the api guideline change

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Mar 01 2021 at 19:08):

Oh, so can we just roll those two tasks into one?

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:08):

doesn't _really_ matter if it's done before or after the post, but the post will go into more detail on why we made the decision we did which I can then link in the issue when I update the guidelines

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Mar 01 2021 at 19:09):

Jane Lusby said:

doesn't _really_ matter if it's done before or after the post, but the post will go into more detail on why we made the decision we did which I can then link in the issue when I update the guidelines

Wait, I'm confused; so that's an affirmative that we can just roll those two tasks into one? This makes it seem like we won't.

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:09):

oh, yea there's still two taks

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:09):

tasks*

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Mar 01 2021 at 19:09):

Ok

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:09):

like, we still want to update the API guidelines to vendor the advice from the post

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:09):

i just want to stage the changes

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Mar 01 2021 at 19:10):

I think it makes slightly more sense to write up the blog post first explaining the changes then

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:10):

@Charles Ellis O'Riley Jr. has been working on the diagram for the book

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:11):

I know that's progressing nicely though still incomplete, so I'll leave the action item up

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Mar 01 2021 at 19:11):

Oh, I totally didn't update our project board with my tasks for the Book

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:12):

are you able to edit the action items doc?

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:12):

I'm assuming so

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Mar 01 2021 at 19:12):

Yea, I'll do that after the meeting :+1:

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:12):

awesome

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:12):

I know jakub has been working on the termination trait issue

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:12):

so gonna bump that to the current meeting as well

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:12):

still in progress

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:13):

I thikn everything else is currently idle

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:14):

@Sean Chen did you make any progress on

https://hackmd.io/@rust-libs/rJUiBn5fu

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:14):

damnit

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:14):

wrong paste

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:14):

lol

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:14):

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:14):

I know you created the issue for the specialization on unwrap and expect

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Mar 01 2021 at 19:14):

I have not, mostly have been working on the error handling Book examples

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:14):

sounds good

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:14):

i can take this issue

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:15):

since its already closely related to the blog post I'm working on

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:15):

I'm also going to take all the action items that involve just creating issues

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:15):

since I think I can knock those all out really quickly

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:16):

alright

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:16):

I think that's everything I wanted to go over from the action items

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Mar 01 2021 at 19:17):

Nothing else from me

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:17):

Alright

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:17):

@triagebot end-topic

view this post on Zulip triagebot (Mar 01 2021 at 19:17):

Does anyone have something to add on the current topic?
React with :working_on_it: if you have something to say.
React with :all_good: if not.

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:17):

next up, status updates

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:18):

I'll go first

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:18):

So I'm primarily working on the blog post atm

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:18):

I'm maybe 75% done with the first draft

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:18):

And I changed a bunch of the plans in response to a call I had with @Mara last friday

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:18):

the plan is now approximately

view this post on Zulip Mara (Mar 01 2021 at 19:19):

hey

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:20):

  1. move error trait to core
  2. add panic_error function like panic_any
  3. specialize unwrap and expect to use panic_error
  4. add a reporting mechanism to either the error trait or to the fmt grammar for printing errors as a report including source error messages
  5. Introduce a Box<dyn Error> equivalent that implement's Error and not From<E: Error>
  6. Add an alternative Result type that uses FromResidual to convert error types during ?
  7. Add lints to discourage usage of Box<dyn Error>

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:21):

assuming I remembered that all correctly

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:23):

I'm hoping to have the blog post finished this week

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:23):

@triagebot end-topic

view this post on Zulip triagebot (Mar 01 2021 at 19:23):

Does anyone have something to add on the current topic?
React with :working_on_it: if you have something to say.
React with :all_good: if not.

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:23):

anyone else have a status update?

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:24):

assuming that means no

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:24):

next up, project board review

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Mar 01 2021 at 19:24):

Not really. Gonna start writing the actual content around the minigrep example we've been talking about for the Book

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:25):

I need to create an issue for the review card in Proposed on our project board

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:25):

let me make an action item for that

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:26):

I think we're good on the project board issues

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:26):

some issues aren't really being worked on but I Think thats fine given our capacity

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:26):

@triagebot end-topic

view this post on Zulip triagebot (Mar 01 2021 at 19:26):

Does anyone have something to add on the current topic?
React with :working_on_it: if you have something to say.
React with :all_good: if not.

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:26):

Last item for the day

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:27):

reviewing https://github.com/rust-lang/rfcs/pull/3084

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:27):

I've been following this issue

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:27):

for now I want to sit on it and see what comments others make on the issue

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:28):

I'm generally against including paths as a default for io::Errors

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:28):

but I like @Josh Triplett 's idea of enabling it behind a feature flag

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:29):

for similar reasons as to why I'm not as in favor of including a context gathering type for errors in std,

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:30):

I think these kinds of helpers are more domain specific than what we'd want in std

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Mar 01 2021 at 19:30):

That makes sense

view this post on Zulip Charles Ellis O'Riley Jr. (Mar 01 2021 at 19:30):

Does this pertain to a file not being able to open?

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:30):

that's it for me

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:30):

Charles Ellis O'Riley Jr. said:

Does this pertain to a file not being able to open?

thats one of the error cases this is focused on

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:30):

though I think its a bit more general than that

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:31):

so it could cover permissions errors and what not

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:31):

and some commenters have already brought up network errors

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:31):

like, should tcp errors include the socket addr information?

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:31):

that kinda thing

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:32):

it can get pretty complicated overall

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:32):

anyways, I don't have anything else to go over today

view this post on Zulip Charles Ellis O'Riley Jr. (Mar 01 2021 at 19:32):

In a match statement, couldn't that be handled by the programmer....unless I'm reading this wrong

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:33):

Charles Ellis O'Riley Jr. said:

In a match statement, couldn't that be handled by the programmer....unless I'm reading this wrong

yes, but this is for unhandled errors

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:33):

ones that we want to print rather than match and react to

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:33):

so when you print one of these io errors right now all you'll see is "file not found"

view this post on Zulip Charles Ellis O'Riley Jr. (Mar 01 2021 at 19:33):

ok...I'm done

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:33):

instead of "could not open <PATH>: file not found"

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:33):

which is what this RFC want's to produce

view this post on Zulip Josh Triplett (Mar 01 2021 at 19:34):

Jane Lusby said:

but I like Josh Triplett 's idea of enabling it behind a feature flag

To be clear, I'm not proposing that we go ahead and implement it; rather, I'm suggesting that we label-and-close, and revisit it when build-std supports building std with feature flags.

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:34):

@triagebot end-topic

view this post on Zulip triagebot (Mar 01 2021 at 19:34):

Does anyone have something to add on the current topic?
React with :working_on_it: if you have something to say.
React with :all_good: if not.

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:34):

alright, I think thats it for the meeting

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:34):

@triagebot end-meeting

view this post on Zulip triagebot (Mar 01 2021 at 19:34):

Does anyone have something to bring up?
React with :working_on_it: if you have something to say.
React with :all_good: if you're ready to end the meeting.

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:35):

a nice quick meeting

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:35):

thank you everyone ^_^

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Mar 01 2021 at 19:35):

and have a good day :wave:

view this post on Zulip Charles Ellis O'Riley Jr. (Mar 01 2021 at 19:35):

U2


Last updated: Jan 29 2022 at 10:51 UTC