Stream: project-error-handling

Topic: Meeting 2021-01-18


view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 18:54):

Meeting in 6 minutes

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 18:55):

its MLK Jr. day so I'm not sure if people will be showing up today

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 18:55):

if it ends up being light on attendance then we can just skip this meeting

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 18:55):

Agenda https://hackmd.io/@rust-libs/BJhAiCeRv

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:00):

alright

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:00):

meeting time

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:00):

hello everyone

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:00):

okay so lets start with status updates

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:01):

I don't have much to report personally

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:02):

I was hoping to get the generic member access rfc updated last week but didn't find the time :/

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:02):

@Charles Ellis O'Riley Jr. hows the assert implementation going

view this post on Zulip Charles Ellis O'Riley Jr. (Jan 18 2021 at 19:03):

It's going good. Nothing to report. Thanks for pointing me in the correct direction.

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:03):

my pleasure

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:03):

@oliver did you end up picking something to work on next?

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:03):

I remember we talked about a few options

view this post on Zulip oliver (Jan 18 2021 at 19:03):

yeah

view this post on Zulip oliver (Jan 18 2021 at 19:04):

I looked into those items

view this post on Zulip oliver (Jan 18 2021 at 19:05):

I was just looking for time to dig in

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:05):

sounds good

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:05):

did you want me to put them both under your name or are you going to focus on one of them first?

view this post on Zulip oliver (Jan 18 2021 at 19:05):

would we add them to the project board?

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:06):

i think the backtrace in core is already tracked

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:06):

but the panic = abort fix isn't so I'd have to add that, yea

view this post on Zulip oliver (Jan 18 2021 at 19:06):

I didn't find either but I could look again

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:06):

let me check rq

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:07):

oh yea i guess we don't actually have an issue for either one

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:07):

ill fix that

view this post on Zulip oliver (Jan 18 2021 at 19:07):

hopefully we could collaborate on the backtrace PR

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:07):

yea

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:08):

lets focus on the backtrace in core PR

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:08):

since I think that one is more urgent than the panic = abort fix

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:08):

tho that is probably easier

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:08):

ill track them both and leave the second one as unassigned

view this post on Zulip oliver (Jan 18 2021 at 19:08):

I was wondering if anything has developed re the original issue

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:08):

and assign the first to both of us

view this post on Zulip oliver (Jan 18 2021 at 19:08):

*for panic == abort

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:09):

not that I know of

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:09):

I don't think Alex ever wrote up detailed mentorship instructions but that's probably fine

view this post on Zulip oliver (Jan 18 2021 at 19:09):

oh interesting that's good news, yes it has all of the detail

view this post on Zulip oliver (Jan 18 2021 at 19:09):

I would say label as 'easy' and/or 'good first issue'

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:10):

for the panic = abort?

view this post on Zulip oliver (Jan 18 2021 at 19:10):

yeah

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:10):

agree

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:10):

though we should probably figure out where the flags that need to be re-exported are defined

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:10):

i feel like finding those might be hard for a new comer

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:10):

_unsure_

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Jan 18 2021 at 19:10):

Perhaps I could look into that one once the frames iterator PR is done

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:10):

:+1:

view this post on Zulip oliver (Jan 18 2021 at 19:11):

does GH make it obvious when an issue is added to a project?

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:11):

not that I know of

view this post on Zulip oliver (Jan 18 2021 at 19:11):

label 'project-error-handling' at least

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:11):

okay

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:12):

I don't think @Ashley Mannix is here todaoy

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:12):

unsure

view this post on Zulip oliver (Jan 18 2021 at 19:12):

other than that I was unsure about use of 'abort'

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:12):

oh but @Jakub Duchniewicz is

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 18 2021 at 19:12):

hi!

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:12):

hows the regression cleanup @Jakub Duchniewicz ?

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 18 2021 at 19:13):

I got stuck on this one error in this crate sv

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 18 2021 at 19:13):

besides there is one PR to chainerror already

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:13):

is this the rust-sv crate?

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:13):

i was supposed to look into that wasnt I

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:13):

dang

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 18 2021 at 19:13):

and two other crates are not worth the time (unmaintainted)

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:13):

im sorry for not following up on that

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:13):

ill make a reminder now to do that

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 18 2021 at 19:14):

Ashley gave me a tip on that but still did not delve to deep into this tip

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:14):

okay

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 18 2021 at 19:14):

But the merge seems to be done and waiting for closure

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:14):

let me know if you still need help then

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:14):

Jakub Duchniewicz said:

But the merge seems to be done and waiting for closure

the merge?

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 18 2021 at 19:14):

If you could just look at the error

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 18 2021 at 19:14):

ah nevermind, not on the menu today

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 18 2021 at 19:15):

old item :)

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:15):

i am confused

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:15):

lol

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:15):

okay

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 18 2021 at 19:15):

ah no, it is later on the menu :confused:

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:15):

how about the backtrace stabilization PR

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:15):

is that what you're referring too?

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 18 2021 at 19:15):

yup

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:15):

I saw that Ashley pushed your branch

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 18 2021 at 19:15):

seems to be done on our part

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:15):

awesome

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 18 2021 at 19:16):

thus looking for work if something arises (apart from my cleanup work with these crates)

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:16):

noted

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:17):

@Sean Chen did we ever post that blog post?

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:17):

pretty sure we didnt

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:17):

are we just waiting on it being approved?

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Jan 18 2021 at 19:17):

It was posted on Nov 23rd: https://blog.rust-lang.org/inside-rust/2020/11/23/What-the-error-handling-project-group-is-working-on.html

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:18):

what the heck, how did I miss that

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Jan 18 2021 at 19:18):

It's on the Inside Rust blog, not the main one

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:18):

okay well, taking that off the agenda then

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:18):

okay cool, I think that's it for status updates

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Jan 18 2021 at 19:18):

I haven't looked into gathering metrics on its engagement though; not sure how to do that.

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:19):

next I wanna just go through our project / issues / recent zulip threads and look to see if there's any work we shoudl be tracking / working on

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:19):

I think we have to get in touch with the infra ppl

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:19):

not sure exactly who

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:19):

@simulacrum or @Ashley Mannix hopefully know though

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:20):

Project Board: https://github.com/rust-lang/project-error-handling/projects/1

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:20):

okay cool so we merged the change to catch_unwind's documentation

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:20):

to have it refer to resume_unwind

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:21):

so there's this issue: https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/54889

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:21):

which is pretty much blocked by the new Try trait RFC

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:21):

which is being spearheaded by @scottmcm

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:22):

I'm not sure if we want to handle following up on that but we can if needed, but there's not much for us to do at the moment there

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:22):

oh we need to get the new PR @Sean Chen opened

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:22):

and put that on the project board

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Jan 18 2021 at 19:23):

Heh, that PR is just v2 of the same Frames PR since v1 got kind of gnarly :sweat_smile:

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:23):

https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/54144 might be an interesting issue to look into @Jakub Duchniewicz

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 18 2021 at 19:24):

:looking:

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:24):

Sean Chen said:

Heh, that PR is just v2 of the same Frames PR since v1 got kind of gnarly :sweat_smile:

yea, I just swapped them in the project board

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:25):

@Jakub Duchniewicz that's a bit of a research problem though

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:25):

I can imagine doing it for ?

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 18 2021 at 19:25):

yeah just saw that it is quite vague

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:25):

but doing it on all Err even manually constructed one's seems... hard

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:25):

but the compiler team might know fancy ways to accomplish this

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:26):

I think that's everything new on the project board

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:26):

The termination trait came up recently

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:27):

I'll have to check the charter but I don't think we made that out of scope the same way we did for Try

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:27):

https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/43301#issuecomment-761900006

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:27):

gonna add this to the board

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:27):

this also ties back to the error code issue people have brought up

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:28):

another possible issue to focus on @Jakub Duchniewicz if you'd prefer

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:29):

Here's a big one

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:29):

https://github.com/rust-lang/project-error-handling/issues/27

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:29):

We've had two different issues opened recently for ppl confused about source vs Display

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:29):

for source errors

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:29):

and how to handle that

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:29):

I think I need to bring this up in the next libs team meeting

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:30):

and basically decide as a project how the error trait should be used, and use that to motivate future guidance and API choices

view this post on Zulip oliver (Jan 18 2021 at 19:30):

Is this related to that debugging issue: https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/80995/files

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:30):

I don't think so but I can ask tyler what that was about

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:31):

first glance makes me think that's just adding tracing instrumetation to the compiler binary itself

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:31):

and not that it's changing codegen

view this post on Zulip oliver (Jan 18 2021 at 19:31):

oh interesting

view this post on Zulip oliver (Jan 18 2021 at 19:33):

so more targeting llvm?

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:33):

the Err breakpoint issue?

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:33):

maybe yea

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:33):

that's the question, right

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:33):

:D

view this post on Zulip oliver (Jan 18 2021 at 19:34):

I look forward to learning more :laughter_tears:

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:34):

@Jakub Duchniewicz one more issue you could look into is https://github.com/rust-lang/project-error-handling/issues/9

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:34):

error return traces

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:34):

this kinda ties back into some of the other work I've been doing though

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 18 2021 at 19:35):

Ah I will need some time to look into them all

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:35):

oh, you don't hve to look into them all

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:35):

just giving you options

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 18 2021 at 19:35):

I don't know which one to pick yet :smile:

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:36):

ah, fair

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:36):

lol

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:36):

well, let me know which you end up wanting to work on first

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 18 2021 at 19:36):

sure

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:36):

alright, I think that's all the issues

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:36):

is there anything I'm missing?

view this post on Zulip oliver (Jan 18 2021 at 19:37):

feedback on the blog post?

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:37):

I think that one is an old action item

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:37):

since the blog post was already published

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:37):

now we're looking for metrics

view this post on Zulip oliver (Jan 18 2021 at 19:37):

tbd then

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:38):

yea

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:38):

I think that's everything then

view this post on Zulip oliver (Jan 18 2021 at 19:38):

there is the book

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:38):

yes

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:39):

I would like to start working on that

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:39):

I was thinking we could start with the guidance on source vs display

view this post on Zulip oliver (Jan 18 2021 at 19:39):

I have a bunch of stuff to add

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:39):

once I've talked to the libs team about it

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:39):

and then I can start drafting sections of the book

view this post on Zulip oliver (Jan 18 2021 at 19:40):

it seems like something that could have it's own BoF

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:40):

BoF?

view this post on Zulip oliver (Jan 18 2021 at 19:40):

maybe a weekend workshop or something

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:41):

oo

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:41):

that sounds fun

view this post on Zulip oliver (Jan 18 2021 at 19:41):

oh BoF = Birds of a Feather

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:41):

yea!

view this post on Zulip oliver (Jan 18 2021 at 19:41):

probably will be interest beyond ppl at our little meetings

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:41):

okay, I like that idea

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:41):

I'll add that to my todolist

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:41):

to setup a BoF

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:42):

either this weekend or next im thinking

view this post on Zulip oliver (Jan 18 2021 at 19:42):

oh that soon okay great :high_five:

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:42):

hehe

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:42):

yea

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:42):

i will do the libs team stuff first

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:42):

and then go from there

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Jan 18 2021 at 19:42):

Sorry, I still don't understand what a BoF is, even after the acronym was spelled out :sweat_smile:

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:42):

its like a hack session

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:43):

where we'd get together and collaborate on drafting the book

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:43):

sync

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Jan 18 2021 at 19:43):

Ok, that's what I figured, but wanted to make sure so I could write it down in the minutes doc

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:43):

ye

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:43):

tyty

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 18 2021 at 19:43):

I think I will go with the Termination trait polishing for now (if that is what the issue is about :grinning: )

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Jan 18 2021 at 19:43):

https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/43301#issuecomment-761900006

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:43):

awesome

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:44):

Anything else?

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Jan 18 2021 at 19:47):

Seems like no :smile:

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:47):

heh

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:47):

alright

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:47):

I think that's it for today then

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:47):

Thank you everyone for coming

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 19:47):

and thank you @Sean Chen for taking minutes

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Jan 18 2021 at 19:48):

(I wish Zulip had a "people are typing..." blurb)

view this post on Zulip Charles Ellis O'Riley Jr. (Jan 18 2021 at 19:48):

That would be nice

view this post on Zulip simulacrum (Jan 18 2021 at 19:48):

@triagebot end-topic is what release team and infra team are using for checking quickly on whether there's more

view this post on Zulip triagebot (Jan 18 2021 at 19:49):

Does anyone have something to add on the current topic?
React with :working_on_it: if you have something to say.
React with :all_good: if not.

view this post on Zulip simulacrum (Jan 18 2021 at 19:49):

accompanied by @triagebot end-meeting

view this post on Zulip triagebot (Jan 18 2021 at 19:49):

Does anyone have something to bring up?
React with :working_on_it: if you have something to say.
React with :all_good: if you're ready to end the meeting.

view this post on Zulip Ashley Mannix (Jan 18 2021 at 22:41):

Neat! I’ll start using it too. My update is:

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Jan 18 2021 at 23:26):

:+1:


Last updated: Jan 26 2022 at 14:20 UTC