Stream: project-error-handling

Topic: Meeting 2020-12-07


view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Dec 07 2020 at 16:28):

I’m going to miss today’s meeting.

On my end, I’ve been continuing to work through details on the backtrace frames PR. It’s coming along nicely, and I think it should be in a mergeable state by our next meeting.

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 18:05):

Sounds good, @Ashley Mannix can you take minutes for today's meeting?

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 18:35):

meeting starts in 25 minutes

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 18:37):

meeting agenda https://hackmd.io/@rust-libs/rJbgIxnoD

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 18:55):

5 minutes

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:00):

alright meeting time everyone

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:00):

First agenda item is to review the previous meeting's action items

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:00):

[rust-lang/rust#77384] Implement trait based proof of concept for Backtrace in core (Jane Lusby)

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:01):

the links are in the hackmd if you wanna dive deeper into any of these

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:02):

So I haven't had a chance to work on the backtrace in core implementation, though I did get to do a few other tasks this week and expect that I'll be able to make more progress on the backtrace in core impl soon

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:02):

Next is

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:02):

https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/77384

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:02):

oops

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:02):

thats not it

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:02):

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:02):

got the link this time, yeeee

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:03):

Okay so we have a couple updates on this one

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:03):

We got a comment from @Plecra on github about updating the object-provider API to possibly allow extracting context that includes lifetimes

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:04):

after reviewing the idea it turns out @Nika Layzell had already proposed and implemented a version of this API, where we use marker types that implement a trait with an associated type to provide a static type to downcast too as a proxy for a type that cannot have a type id because it contains lifetimes

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:05):

I've updated the RFC implementation to include the old new version, but now we're working on a 3rd version that should be more powerful that will support more error handling use cases and be useful for the futures executors people as well

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:05):

you can checkout https://github.com/mystor/dyno to see the working copy of the new object-provider API

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:06):

so hopefully we can get this polished soon and move into the generic member access RFC and begin moving forward on that

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:06):

next up is

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:06):

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:06):

@Jakub Duchniewicz

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:06):

how's this going?

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Dec 07 2020 at 19:07):

So I looked into these repositories and cloned them and built locally with updated rustc

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Dec 07 2020 at 19:07):

will probably submit PR's to them in a couple of days

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:07):

awesome

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Dec 07 2020 at 19:07):

some of them are not that popular

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Dec 07 2020 at 19:07):

but nonetheless worth patching

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:08):

alright, next up is

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:08):

@oliver

view this post on Zulip oliver (Dec 07 2020 at 19:08):

this is probably ready for a final review to merge

view this post on Zulip oliver (Dec 07 2020 at 19:09):

it's been outstanding for a while and there has been sufficient interest
and attention given that it just needs a final push through

view this post on Zulip Charles Ellis O'Riley Jr. (Dec 07 2020 at 19:10):

I thought I knew where the incertion point for my change would take place but that assumption turned out to be incorrect so I'm going to take the time to dive into AST and based on feedback I received from @Camelid, I'll just follow the code. At this point, I can't give a timeline.

view this post on Zulip oliver (Dec 07 2020 at 19:10):

unfortunately Ashely is unavailable and I don't feel particularly up to
the task without significant mentoring supports and direction

view this post on Zulip Charles Ellis O'Riley Jr. (Dec 07 2020 at 19:10):

SSorry about that, jumped the gun

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:11):

oliver said:

unfortunately Ashely is unavailable and I don't feel particularly up to
the task without significant mentoring supports and direction

alright, I'll see if I can't find someone to help us push this over the finish line

view this post on Zulip oliver (Dec 07 2020 at 19:11):

I think that shouldn't be too difficult given the number of eyes on it
to this point

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:12):

agreed, I've also updated the action items for next meeting based on your comments on the better assert impl @Charles Ellis O'Riley Jr.

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:12):

ty for the update

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:13):

alright next is

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:13):

damnit

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:13):

these hackmd keybinds are fking with me

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:13):

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:13):

okay so I didn't manage to get to this one

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:13):

it is high on my priority list though so I will have that review done soon

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:13):

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:13):

Also haven't gotten around to this one, lower on my priority list

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:14):

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:14):

sean can update us on this one async when he's available

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:15):

Next is:

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:15):

not sure if we have @Ashley Mannix with us rn

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:16):

as far as I can tell this is unblocked, it went through an FCP and that closed with disposition merge

view this post on Zulip oliver (Dec 07 2020 at 19:16):

https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/72981#issuecomment-731771824

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:16):

but the PR currently has merge conflicts

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Dec 07 2020 at 19:16):

who should do the resolving?

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:16):

so I think we will need to update it

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Dec 07 2020 at 19:17):

it's been hanging quite some time in this state

view this post on Zulip oliver (Dec 07 2020 at 19:17):

https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/79692

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:17):

anyone interested in dealing with the merge conflicts?

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Dec 07 2020 at 19:17):

I could do this as well :)

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:17):

awesome

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:19):

alright

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:19):

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:19):

This I finished ^_^

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:20):

that link is the issue where I've started documenting all the prior art for error handling guides that I thought were good

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:20):

if there are any resources that you can think of that are missing add them there or drop a link in the zulip and I'll update the issue with the link

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:21):

alright that's all the action items we had on the agenda last week

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:21):

is there anything I missed that any of you have updates for?

view this post on Zulip oliver (Dec 07 2020 at 19:22):

we wanted to get feedback on the blog post

view this post on Zulip oliver (Dec 07 2020 at 19:23):

has anyone received any feedback individually?

view this post on Zulip oliver (Dec 07 2020 at 19:23):

are we sure everyone is happy with everything?

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:23):

I've given feedback on it a few times and I think its in a good state

view this post on Zulip oliver (Dec 07 2020 at 19:23):

I meant feedback from outside of our group

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:24):

aah

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:24):

I've not done any work soliciting feedback

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:24):

@Sean Chen might have, we will have to wait for that info async I think

view this post on Zulip oliver (Dec 07 2020 at 19:26):

can we determine how many people read the blog?

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:26):

not sure

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:27):

worth looking into

view this post on Zulip oliver (Dec 07 2020 at 19:27):

did anybody read it :laughing:

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:27):

I've assigned figuring that out to myself

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:28):

okay so next up was the backtrace merge conflicts, which we already talked about

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:28):

then after that

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:28):

@oliver grabbed a bunch of issues that we might be interested in tracking in our project board

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:29):

I did a quick check on them and came up with this grouping

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:29):

view this post on Zulip oliver (Dec 07 2020 at 19:29):

I'm fine with whatever your disposition is here

view this post on Zulip oliver (Dec 07 2020 at 19:29):

since there is some value in doing this I'll continue where I left off
and have more for next week

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:30):

awesome

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:30):

I'll go ahead and add the ones we care about to the project board

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:30):

alright

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:30):

last item

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:30):

Holiday Schedule

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:31):

I was thinking we should probably skip the next meeting and all just enjoy our holiday

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:31):

meet back up on Jan 4th

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:31):

what does everyone think?

view this post on Zulip Charles Ellis O'Riley Jr. (Dec 07 2020 at 19:31):

:mother_christmas:

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:31):

lol

view this post on Zulip oliver (Dec 07 2020 at 19:32):

I'd be okay with meeting :shrug: :santa:

view this post on Zulip Charles Ellis O'Riley Jr. (Dec 07 2020 at 19:32):

Merry Christmas everybody!

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:32):

@oliver lets have an informal meeting where we can touch base on things ppl are working on if there's progress being made

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:33):

but no agenda / action item runthrough / minutes /etc

view this post on Zulip oliver (Dec 07 2020 at 19:33):

I might still be doing the advent of code solution for that day depending how
hard they get by then :death:

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Dec 07 2020 at 19:33):

I will also probably be up for a small meeting to update my progresses

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:33):

alright

view this post on Zulip Charles Ellis O'Riley Jr. (Dec 07 2020 at 19:33):

I'll be there

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:33):

ahaha

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:33):

alright

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:33):

sounds like everyone wants a meeting still so we will just continue as normal

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:33):

<3

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:33):

dont overwork yourself pls

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:34):

alrighty

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:34):

i think thats it for this meeting

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:34):

quick one!

view this post on Zulip Charles Ellis O'Riley Jr. (Dec 07 2020 at 19:34):

Working from the ground up is a slog

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:34):

does anyone have anything else they want to go over before we go?

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:35):

alright then lets call it

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 07 2020 at 19:36):

happy holidays everyone ^^

view this post on Zulip Charles Ellis O'Riley Jr. (Dec 07 2020 at 19:36):

Be safe out there

view this post on Zulip DPC (Dec 07 2020 at 19:48):

oliver said:

this is probably ready for a final review to merge

link me, i'll ensure it gets reviewed by someone :smile:

view this post on Zulip oliver (Dec 07 2020 at 20:01):

Sweet! It looks like a reviewer was auto assigned here: https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/79692
The final review needed is more of a high-level/overall issue consideration
rather than a review and merge a PR function, the tracking issue is here:
https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/53487

view this post on Zulip oliver (Dec 07 2020 at 20:03):

I've been following along but I lack the depth needed to definitely judge this
to completion, though clearly the current participants are expressing a growing
consensus

view this post on Zulip oliver (Dec 07 2020 at 20:05):

If there is anything I can do to help please just let me know! :smile:

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Dec 08 2020 at 00:31):

Re: the blog post. I have not looked into soliciting feedback on it. @Jane Lusby, did you want to keep that task or assign it to me?


Last updated: Jan 26 2022 at 14:20 UTC