Stream: project-error-handling

Topic: Meeting 2020-11-23


view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 23 2020 at 18:19):

Meeting today?

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 23 2020 at 18:19):

yea

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 23 2020 at 18:20):

I may be late for today's meeting though

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 23 2020 at 18:20):

@Sean Chen or @Ashley Mannix can one of you run the meeting if I'm not ready on time?

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 18:22):

Sure :grimacing:

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 18:23):

Is there an updated agenda doc?

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 18:23):

I started one, cause I didn’t see one dated for today, but I _think_ the agenda items on it are from last meeting?

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 23 2020 at 18:28):

the one for today is always labeled next

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 23 2020 at 18:28):

then right before the meeting I copy everything from the active one to a new one

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 23 2020 at 18:28):

then update the one that was the active one to prep it for the next meeting

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 18:30):

Ah, ok

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 18:45):

We'll be getting started in 15 minutes!

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 18:47):

Today’s meeting agenda doc is located here: https://hackmd.io/@rust-libs/S1mI0vt5v

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 19:00):

All right, let's started with today's meeting! If you could add an emoji to this message or otherwise let me know you're in attendance so I can update the attendees, that would be appreciated :smile:

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 19:01):

Cool, Jane's running late, so please bear with me if I mess something up :sweat_smile:

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 19:01):

But let's start running down the agenda items, skipping any of Jane's items for the time being

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 19:02):

Looks like the first one is reviewing the "Fix the error trait" tracking issue and figuring out next steps, assigned to Oliver and Ashley

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 19:02):

Anything to report on that?

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 23 2020 at 19:02):

This issue has been updated on GH

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 23 2020 at 19:03):

It captured a decent amount of attention from contributors

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 23 2020 at 19:03):

It is ready to continue moving forward at an appropriate pace

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 19:03):

Ok, is there some sort of road map, or apparent next steps?

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 23 2020 at 19:04):

The update outlined those points

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 23 2020 at 19:04):

So far new 'outside' contributions has been limited

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 19:04):

Ok, cool. Sorry, I'm not terribly up-to-date with this, but it sounds like it's in a good spot

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 23 2020 at 19:05):

Well not if you're hoping to wake up one morning and have it finished

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 23 2020 at 19:05):

It needs pushing forward afiak

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 19:05):

I just mean it doesn't seem there are blockers :smile:

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 23 2020 at 19:05):

But the interest and attention is there

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 19:05):

Cool

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 23 2020 at 19:05):

Sean Chen said:

I just mean it doesn't seem there are blockers :smile:

That we know of atm :grimacing:

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 19:06):

Fair. But let's move on to the next action item.

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 19:06):

Assigned to me, posting the long-term blog post to the Inside Rust blog.

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 19:07):

So, this has been sitting in the Inside Rust blog's PR queue for some time now. I'm not sure who I need to ping to get it merged.

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 19:07):

Does anyone know who I should contact to get this merged?

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 23 2020 at 19:07):

Ask someone who's posted before?

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 23 2020 at 19:08):

Or Jane probably knows when she gets here...

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 19:08):

Yea, I should do that. I had a previous blog post merged, so I should probably just ping whoever merged that one.

view this post on Zulip simulacrum (Nov 23 2020 at 19:08):

If it's https://github.com/rust-lang/blog.rust-lang.org/pull/726, I can do that later today, please ping me on that PR with a bumped date to today/tomorrow.

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 19:08):

(deleted)

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 19:09):

simulacrum said:

If it's https://github.com/rust-lang/blog.rust-lang.org/pull/726, I can do that later today, please ping me on that PR with a bumped date to today/tomorrow.

Perfect, thanks!

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 19:09):

Moving on

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 19:10):

Resolving blockers in the backtrace stabilization PR, assigned to @Ashley Mannix

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 19:10):

Who I'm not sure is here right now

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 19:11):

We'll table that one until Ashley updates us

view this post on Zulip Jeremiah Senkpiel (Nov 23 2020 at 19:11):

Attempting to find these issues again after missing the last meeting is quite difficult fwiw

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 19:12):

Jeremiah Senkpiel said:

Attempting to find these issues again after missing the last meeting is quite difficult fwiw

Yea, that's a good point. We should probably add links to them in each meeting doc.

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 19:12):

Or I think most of them should be linked in our GitHub repo?

view this post on Zulip Ashley Mannix (Nov 23 2020 at 19:13):

I think the backtrace stabilization PR is all unblocked now :tada: I was meant to follow up with @oliver last week on the "Fix the Error Trait" but lost the rest of my week so didn't end up doing that :sweat:

view this post on Zulip Jeremiah Senkpiel (Nov 23 2020 at 19:13):

https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/72981 is past the final comment period now, fwiw

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 19:14):

Cool, next up is following up with Amanieu about their concerns on backtrace stabilization

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 19:15):

Did their concerns get resolved @Ashley Mannix ?

view this post on Zulip Ashley Mannix (Nov 23 2020 at 19:16):

They did, yes. There's still a bit of reservation on how it'll all fit together, but they've unblocked the stabilization

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 19:16):

Sweet

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 19:17):

That's.. pretty much every action item that doesn't involve Jane.

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 19:17):

Well, there's this one: fix regressions caused by new impl error for &'a E, which is unassigned

view this post on Zulip Jeremiah Senkpiel (Nov 23 2020 at 19:17):

Does anyone have a link for that?

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 19:19):

I don't :frown:
Jane probably will when she shows up

view this post on Zulip Jeremiah Senkpiel (Nov 23 2020 at 19:20):

uhhh what about the issue/pr for the feature

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 23 2020 at 19:20):

It should land here: https://github.com/rust-lang/project-error-handling/projects/1

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 23 2020 at 19:21):

none currently tagged as regressions

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 19:21):

Yea, I'm not sure which PR specifically this action item is referring to

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 19:21):

Sorry, I'm missing some context on this one :frown:

view this post on Zulip Jeremiah Senkpiel (Nov 23 2020 at 19:22):

That's https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/75180 right? it's not merged and there don't seem to be regression reports :confused:

view this post on Zulip Jeremiah Senkpiel (Nov 23 2020 at 19:23):

Also regarding non-Jane items, wasn't someone else helping work on the book?

view this post on Zulip Ashley Mannix (Nov 23 2020 at 19:23):

Ah, there are some regressions reported on that one here: https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/75180#issuecomment-681492119

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 19:23):

Jeremiah Senkpiel said:

Also regarding non-Jane items, wasn't someone else helping work on the book?

@Charles Ellis O'Riley Jr. I recall. Possibly others.

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 23 2020 at 19:24):

Ashley Mannix said:

Ah, there are some regressions reported on that one here: https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/75180#issuecomment-681492119

unlabeled :thinking:

view this post on Zulip Charles Ellis O'Riley Jr. (Nov 23 2020 at 19:24):

Not on the book. I haven’t been assigned that

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 19:25):

Charles Ellis O'Riley Jr. said:

Not on the book. I haven’t been assigned that

Oh sorry, I'm mis-remembering

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 23 2020 at 19:25):

the book will be a 'many hands' effort IMO

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 19:26):

But yea, could we get that regression labeled in some way @Ashley Mannix ?

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 23 2020 at 19:26):

I can't spot any obvious issues tagged 'regression*' related to that agenda item

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 23 2020 at 19:28):

there are several related to 'errors' otherwise

view this post on Zulip Ashley Mannix (Nov 23 2020 at 19:28):

Sure :+1: I'll give it a tag

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 23 2020 at 19:28):

should we review open issues and collect any which are related to errors?

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 23 2020 at 19:29):

there's only 5k+ of them :laughing:

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 19:29):

oliver said:

there's only 5k+ of them :laughing:

Sure, let's do that

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 23 2020 at 19:29):

oh 6,094

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 23 2020 at 19:30):

I can spend some time doing that until next meeting

view this post on Zulip Ashley Mannix (Nov 23 2020 at 19:30):

Wow! That might take a minute :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 19:31):

oliver said:

I can spend some time doing that until next meeting

That would be super helpful :smile:

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 19:32):

Is there anything else non-Jane related to bring up?

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 19:33):

I'm not sure if/when she's planning on showing up. We could stick around until then, or perhaps call this meeting early and she can report any updates for the action items assigned to her.

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 23 2020 at 19:33):

People are upset about that UMN paper and related Tweet, but I think that's more of a wg-secure-code concern

view this post on Zulip Charles Ellis O'Riley Jr. (Nov 23 2020 at 19:33):

Still working on nicer assert

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 19:34):

Any blockers there Charles?

view this post on Zulip Charles Ellis O'Riley Jr. (Nov 23 2020 at 19:35):

Nope. I do have one unrelated question. Is anyone getting a white screen that covers the Zulip app?

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 19:35):

Charles Ellis O'Riley Jr. said:

Nope. I do have one unrelated question. Is anyone getting a white screen that covers the Zulip app?

I am not

view this post on Zulip Charles Ellis O'Riley Jr. (Nov 23 2020 at 19:36):

Ok. Just me:joy_cat:

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 19:37):

As far as other updates, I've been going back and forth with Ashley on the backtrace iterator feature. Next step there is to add some tests.

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 19:39):

Ok, well, I'm thinking we call this meeting here early, if no one objects to that. @Jane Lusby can asynchronously post updates on her action items when she's available.

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 23 2020 at 19:39):

ya the thread remains open

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 23 2020 at 19:39):

:wave:

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 19:39):

Cool, we'll call it here then!

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 23 2020 at 19:39):

Thanks so much @oliver for taking the meeting minutes! :smile:

view this post on Zulip Charles Ellis O'Riley Jr. (Nov 23 2020 at 19:40):

Thank you all

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Nov 23 2020 at 20:11):

Hi all!
Could not make it to the meeting today :sad: I saw that there is an unassigned item from today's Meeting: 'Fix regressions caused by new impl error for &'a E change'. If nobody is objecting I could look into that :)

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 23 2020 at 20:30):

Can you link to the related issue? :pray:

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Nov 23 2020 at 20:49):

I think it is the one that Ashley Mannix mentioned above. I will search for it as well

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 24 2020 at 22:51):

Sean Chen said:

Jeremiah Senkpiel said:

Attempting to find these issues again after missing the last meeting is quite difficult fwiw

Yea, that's a good point. We should probably add links to them in each meeting doc.

I'll go ahead and put that on my todo list

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 24 2020 at 22:53):

for async updates on jane stuff, I wasn't able to make much progress on my items this last two weeks because I've been moving, but now that's all settled

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Nov 30 2020 at 08:09):

Sorry, for such a late reply.
I think the only unassigned item referred to this PR https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/75180. Since this is going to be merged soon, I can fix the creates broken by this PR (as reported by crater). Or should the authors of the crates do it for themselves? (I don't know if this is in-scope for us)

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 30 2020 at 18:04):

I'm not sure either, but I think it might be good to be proactive

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 30 2020 at 18:05):

im worried about requiring breaking changes to some of the crates tho

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 30 2020 at 18:06):

like, major version bumps

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 30 2020 at 18:06):

:/

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Dec 01 2020 at 10:05):

I will investigate it during the week and report how much of an issue is that

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Dec 01 2020 at 19:04):

:D


Last updated: Jan 29 2022 at 09:28 UTC