Stream: project-error-handling

Topic: Meeting 2020-11-09


view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 17:49):

Reminder, meeting is in 11 minutes

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 17:52):

and here is our agenda

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 17:52):

https://hackmd.io/nWygbY49Rda-jXP4Qe1P8g

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 09 2020 at 17:53):

Don't we have another hour? :o

view this post on Zulip Ashley Mannix (Nov 09 2020 at 17:55):

Daylight savings strikes again? Our meetings are pinned to UTC so didn’t shift when some regions did

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 17:55):

we are pinned to UTC

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 17:55):

so it changed in when PST changed to PDT (or is it the other way?)

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 17:56):

i figured we should stick with the current time on the libs team calendar

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 17:56):

which is now 10am

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 17:56):

if we need we can adjust it back to 11

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 17:56):

if everyone else already expected it to be in an hour more then I don't see any harm in siwtching it rn

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 09 2020 at 17:56):

Oh, then yea I'm going to miss today's meeting :o

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 17:56):

but I didn't want to have ppl showing up an hour early and left out to dry

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 09 2020 at 17:56):

where did the time go?

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 17:58):

is anyone not okay with moving the meeting to 11 am PST?

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 17:58):

aka 1 hour from now

view this post on Zulip DPC (Nov 09 2020 at 17:59):

sounds good to me :smile:

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Nov 09 2020 at 17:59):

Fine by me

view this post on Zulip Ashley Mannix (Nov 09 2020 at 17:59):

I’m ok with that too

view this post on Zulip DPC (Nov 09 2020 at 17:59):

view this post on Zulip Ashley Mannix (Nov 09 2020 at 18:00):

If we’d like to keep it that way I’ll update our calendar

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 09 2020 at 18:00):

there is the SIMD meeting right afterwards tho

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 09 2020 at 18:01):

adds a switching cost to ppl interested in both

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 09 2020 at 18:01):

unless they lost an hour also :thinking:

view this post on Zulip DPC (Nov 09 2020 at 18:05):

time to pick up the skill of being in 2 meetings at the same time :stuck_out_tongue:

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 18:06):

Ashley Mannix said:

If we’d like to keep it that way I’ll update our calendar

probably will want to switch it, but lets coordinate with the SIMD team to make sure we're not making it harder for anyone

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 18:06):

if anyone has difficulty with the new time please lmk

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 09 2020 at 18:14):

maybe we bump ahead by 30 min so there is still a buffer?

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 18:14):

wdym?

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 09 2020 at 18:16):

instead of shifting by 1 hour and butting up to SIMD's start time we only start
30 minutes later and leave a gap

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 18:16):

sounds like a good but I don't want to switch things around again on this meeting

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 18:17):

but if @Sean Chen will be able to make 10:30 then we should definitely do that for our next meetings

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 09 2020 at 18:18):

oh yes of course!

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 09 2020 at 18:22):

That wouldn't work for :/ I have always have something that ends right before this meeting.

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 18:37):

okay

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 18:37):

I've added talking about the meeting time to the agenda

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 18:57):

4 minute warning

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 18:57):

https://hackmd.io/nWygbY49Rda-jXP4Qe1P8g agenda

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:00):

alrighty

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:00):

meeting time

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:01):

we'll start with reviewing action items from last week

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:02):

for the backtrace in core item I've made no progress, haven't had time, probably unsurprisingly given current events

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:02):

I hope to get some more work on that done soon, though I'm moving in two weeks so I am not holding my breath short term

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 09 2020 at 19:02):

going far?

view this post on Zulip Ashley Mannix (Nov 09 2020 at 19:02):

Oh moving is not fun!

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:02):

not far

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:02):

just across the bay

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:03):

from SF to east bay

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 09 2020 at 19:03):

nice!

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:03):

for object-provider I did some review of the changes nika wrote up and they look good to go

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:03):

so ill be tossing those into the RFC and updating it shortly

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:04):

also I had some discussions with Adam Perry about it with respect to some compiler diagnostic library he was working with

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:04):

that seems to be based on the Diagnostic type in rustc

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:04):

and realized that we should be using rustc errors as an example in the RFC

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:04):

the object provider API might be useful for getting rustc error reporting to work within the error trait nicely

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:04):

which I think would be a good little proof of concept that the design is flexible in the needed ways

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:05):

and I've spent a lot of time in the last two weeks thinking about this, and how the object provider api + universal reporter could be used together to implement rustc error reporting

view this post on Zulip Ashley Mannix (Nov 09 2020 at 19:05):

Yeh, if we can do Rust diagnostics through this mechanism then it would at least be provably powerful

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:05):

but I still don't really have a good idea forward on how to prototype this all

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:05):

the object provider bit is easy

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:06):

but the universal reporting bit is still messy and depends on features that don't exist yet

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:06):

i keep using object provider when i mean generic member access

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:06):

so mentally substitute that in your heads

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:06):

lol

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:06):

anyways

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:06):

that's where I'm at on those two tasks

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:07):

@Ashley Mannix can you give a summary on the FCP for impl error for &'a E

view this post on Zulip Ashley Mannix (Nov 09 2020 at 19:07):

I haven't caught up on all the previous design discussion that's been happening here. Is this all stuff you've laid out earlier?

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:07):

@Ashley Mannix the universal error reporter stuff is new

view this post on Zulip Ashley Mannix (Nov 09 2020 at 19:07):

Ah let's have a look!

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:07):

and very in progress

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:07):

the generic member access RFC is pretty much complete, I just need to update some implementation details and now add more documented examples

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:08):

which will likely involve digging through the compiler to see how it handles error reporting

view this post on Zulip Ashley Mannix (Nov 09 2020 at 19:08):

Looks like &'a E is now in its final comment period, so we can start patching libraries that it will break and once it's ready to go it'll show up in 1.49.0

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:08):

nice!

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:10):

okay so next up is "Review the “Fix the error trait” tracking issue to figure out next steps (Oliver + Ashley Mannix)"

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 09 2020 at 19:10):

Yeah!

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 09 2020 at 19:10):

Wow where did two week go?

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:10):

right

view this post on Zulip Ashley Mannix (Nov 09 2020 at 19:10):

I dropped the ball on that one and never ended up checking in on it

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:10):

no worries

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 09 2020 at 19:10):

I'm looking forward to collaborating when the time is right

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:10):

ill move that to next meeting's action items then

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:11):

likewise I didn't get aroudn to reviewing the panic plan RFC or reaching out to the error codes issue author

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:11):

so ill carry those over as well

view this post on Zulip Mara (Nov 09 2020 at 19:11):

the panic plan rfc is now waiting for the fcp checkboxes. four more to go

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:11):

okay so im gonna hold off on going over the reporter stuff for now

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:12):

because I think that might turn into a longer discussion

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:12):

@Sean Chen hows the blog post

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 09 2020 at 19:12):

Haven't put in the suggested changes yet, but I'll probably get to that this week :)

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:13):

sounds good

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:13):

so we never assigned the "start writing chapters" item from last meeting

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:14):

so gonna carry that one over

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:14):

last item is

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 09 2020 at 19:14):

maybe we can put out a call for collection of references?

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:14):

Resolve blockers in the backtrace stabilizition PR (Ashley Mannix)

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:14):

oliver said:

maybe we can put out a call for collection of references?

Sounds like a good idea, I can think of quite a few off of the top of my head

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:14):

lets start by making an issue in the repo actually

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:15):

and populating it with relevant material that we can find ourselves

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 09 2020 at 19:15):

exactly, someplace to put links and other preliminary research

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 09 2020 at 19:15):

so we can get some more structure

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Nov 09 2020 at 19:16):

and remember about curating it ourselves :)

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:16):

@Ashley Mannix iirc last time we left off the issue with backtrace was that it had different implementations used for panics and errors

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:16):

and iirc we found the reason for that was that the panic backtrace resolver can resolve frames while oom

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:16):

or in the presence of memory errors

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:16):

or something along those lines

view this post on Zulip Ashley Mannix (Nov 09 2020 at 19:17):

We're pretty happy that the backtrace in core issue should be resolved. We just need to get that unlisted as a concern in the FCP. I was also just typing out exactly the same thing there about error vs panic backtraces :D

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:17):

perfect

view this post on Zulip Ashley Mannix (Nov 09 2020 at 19:17):

So there is more code we could share between the implementations, but I don't think any of that has implications for the API

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:18):

for the "unlisted as a concern in the FCP", is this currently blocked

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:18):

i know I haven't finished the implementation yet to prove that it works

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:18):

trying to gauge if I need to finish that to get backtrace stabilization underway or if we're good to move forward now

view this post on Zulip Ashley Mannix (Nov 09 2020 at 19:19):

It's only blocked on Amanieu having a bit of time to look through the recent discussion and mark their concern as resolved

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:19):

awesome

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:19):

can I rely on you to follow up with Amanieu?

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:19):

aka can I assign the follow up to you

view this post on Zulip Ashley Mannix (Nov 09 2020 at 19:20):

Yep :smile: They've indicated they haven't had much time for Rust work lately but that should change sometime soon

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:20):

awesome

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:20):

okay so last action item

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:20):

Discuss universally consistent error reporting

view this post on Zulip Ashley Mannix (Nov 09 2020 at 19:20):

In the meantime I might check out why we format panic backtraces differently

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:20):

so we've been doing this,

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:21):

I'd say we're currently very much in the "throwing ideas around to see what sticks" phase of things

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:22):

the basic idea is that we're trying to find a way to introduce a "Reporter" that handles displaying E: Error objects, and additionally captures or holds context relevant to those errors

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:22):

I think we might want to extend it to also handle PanicInfo objects

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:22):

and I think its a relatively natural fit to the design of the Error trait

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:22):

where its made in such a way where you _have_ to have another party come along and invoke the source method to print all the errors in the chain

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:23):

PanicInfo already has this handled by a the hook from set_hook

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:23):

so unifying that is gonna be a challenge

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 09 2020 at 19:24):

do you think we should start something on internals?

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:24):

but I'm gonna stop there, don't want to turn this meeting into a whiteboarding session until we've gone thru the full agenda

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:24):

oliver said:

do you think we should start something on internals?

I was thinking a blog post soon might be in order

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 09 2020 at 19:24):

right of course

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:25):

and I've been mulling over what that would look like in my head

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 09 2020 at 19:25):

how to present it?

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:25):

yea, what ideas to focus on

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:25):

how to communicate the goals etc etc

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:25):

ill probaly draft something soon

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:26):

and run it by the project group

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:26):

okay but thats all the previous action items

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Nov 09 2020 at 19:26):

Yeah, best to have a concept visualisation

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:26):

next up, tracked issues

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:26):

https://github.com/rust-lang/project-error-handling/projects/1

view this post on Zulip Ashley Mannix (Nov 09 2020 at 19:26):

I think boats has done a good job of that style of post in the past

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:26):

heres our project board

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:27):

so @Sean Chen has been working on the frames fn

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:27):

iirc that was recently unblocked

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 09 2020 at 19:27):

Also haven't made progress on that yet, but hopefully I'll have time this week :)

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:27):

:thumbs_up:

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 09 2020 at 19:28):

If by "blocked", you mean not making any progress on it since I was prepping for my RustFest talk, then yes :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

view this post on Zulip Ashley Mannix (Nov 09 2020 at 19:28):

Yeh, so in the PR I left a suggestion we use a wrapper to return a borrow to data behind a Mutex. To be on the safe side I'm thinking we should probably just materialize a Vec, but still keep it behind that wrapper

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 09 2020 at 19:28):

great talk btw

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:28):

Sean Chen said:

If by "blocked", you mean not making any progress on it since I was prepping for my RustFest talk, then yes :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

lol, that and the question about the lock that ashley answered 3 days ago

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 09 2020 at 19:28):

Oh right, that

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:29):

nicer asserts, @Charles Ellis O'Riley Jr. is working on i think, tho he wasn't able to attend the meeting today

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:29):

I don't really know where the PanicInfo::message RFC is

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:29):

i think @DPC was digging into that one?

view this post on Zulip Mara (Nov 09 2020 at 19:29):

de-vri-es is doing some work related to that

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:29):

ooh cool

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 09 2020 at 19:29):

Ashley Mannix said:

Yeh, so in the PR I left a suggestion we use a wrapper to return a borrow to data behind a Mutex. To be on the safe side I'm thinking we should probably just materialize a Vec, but still keep it behind that wrapper

Sorry, does this mean that it should return a Vec of backtrace frames instead of a slice?

view this post on Zulip Ashley Mannix (Nov 09 2020 at 19:29):

@Sean Chen I'll leave another comment on the PR :smile:

view this post on Zulip Mara (Nov 09 2020 at 19:30):

trying to add some kind of AssertionInfo to a PanicInfo that the test crate can use to display things nicer, possibly with colors etc.

view this post on Zulip Mara (Nov 09 2020 at 19:30):

without requiring support for colors/whatever in std

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:31):

that sounds exciting

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:31):

can you send me the details on that after the meeting?

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:31):

Interested to see how it works

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:31):

Stabilize the backtrace feature and the fix the error trait issues we've already discussed

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Nov 09 2020 at 19:32):

what about the Error::type_id?

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Nov 09 2020 at 19:32):

there was some discussion related to that

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:32):

i see the item in the agenda

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:32):

but I don't see how this document relates to type_id

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Nov 09 2020 at 19:33):

me neither from a quick look

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:33):

jumping to the RFC itself

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:33):

no mention of type_id in either doc

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:33):

lol

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:33):

so if nobody knows any details about that discussion and how it relates to Error::type_id I guess we just move on

view this post on Zulip Ashley Mannix (Nov 09 2020 at 19:33):

:eyes:

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Nov 09 2020 at 19:34):

ah, IIRC it should enable a way to have function specializations

view this post on Zulip DPC (Nov 09 2020 at 19:34):

Mara said:

de-vri-es is doing some work related to that

do you have a link?

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Nov 09 2020 at 19:34):

but I may be mistaken (vtables are mentioned there)

view this post on Zulip Ashley Mannix (Nov 09 2020 at 19:35):

Wait... Stabilizing Error::type_id? :thinking:

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:35):

aah, so type_id would be specialized for every type?

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Nov 09 2020 at 19:35):

I think that was the concept

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:35):

i see (i think)

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Nov 09 2020 at 19:35):

that it is the only safe way (without any hacks)

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:35):

either way, I don't see it as a pressing need

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Nov 09 2020 at 19:35):

I forgot what the SVE for this was

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:36):

I don't know of anyone dying to get their hands on Error::type_id

view this post on Zulip Mara (Nov 09 2020 at 19:36):

do you have a link?

There is nothing of that online yet. But shouldn't take long before there's a proof of concept PR, i bet. :) Will drop a link in this stream when that happens.

view this post on Zulip Ashley Mannix (Nov 09 2020 at 19:36):

I hope not... It's a quiet little hack that nobody needs to know about

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:36):

okay, I don't think we have anything to bubble up to the libs team, other than the already mentioned backtrace stabilization followup

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:37):

next agenda item is "Review The Rust Error Book looking to add initial content"

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:37):

I think we already discussed this item as part of the action items

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:37):

ill make sure to write down "create a github issue and gather existing resources to use as references for the error handling book" as an action item

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:37):

next we have

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:37):

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:38):

not sure who added that item

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 09 2020 at 19:38):

are we targeting 2021?

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:38):

not particularly

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:39):

I don't think we have any major breaking changes in mind atm

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:39):

and if we do my preference is that we get it into the next edition from whenever we're ready with a proposal for breaking changes

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:39):

rather than worrying about edition deadlines

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 09 2020 at 19:39):

what would a breaking change from us look like do you think?

view this post on Zulip Ashley Mannix (Nov 09 2020 at 19:39):

Besides @Mara's plan for unifying panic I don't think we have anything that interacts with editions

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:40):

i could imagine the universal error reporting stuff MAYBE evolving into something that requires a breaking change

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:40):

but its way too nebulous atm to even have an idea of how

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 09 2020 at 19:40):

though it is on the table

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:41):

yea

view this post on Zulip Mara (Nov 09 2020 at 19:41):

library things changing over an edition is really tricky though.

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 09 2020 at 19:41):

I guess that's all I was curious about

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:41):

okay so last item

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:41):

Meeting time

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:42):

we were scheduled at 6pm UTC

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:42):

the simd meeting is at 8 pm UTC

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:42):

does anyone here regularly attend both ?

view this post on Zulip Ashley Mannix (Nov 09 2020 at 19:42):

I do

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 09 2020 at 19:42):

I'm interested in SIMD

view this post on Zulip Jakub Duchniewicz (Nov 09 2020 at 19:42):

Im also interested

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:43):

and they're keeping their meetings at the same time UTC

view this post on Zulip Ashley Mannix (Nov 09 2020 at 19:43):

We may want to push SIMD forwards too. I'll see what everyone thinks in there

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:43):

part of me is hoping they will want to shift it back an hour same as we did

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:43):

okay, lets see if that happens

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:44):

ideally I think we'd both shift back an hour and have that be the end of it

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:44):

otherwise I think we will need to do another poll for meeting times

view this post on Zulip Ashley Mannix (Nov 09 2020 at 19:44):

It looks like we brought it up briefly last meeting and nobody was against shifting it

view this post on Zulip oliver (Nov 09 2020 at 19:45):

@Ashley Mannix what's your local time?

view this post on Zulip Ashley Mannix (Nov 09 2020 at 19:46):

@oliver Over here it's currently 5:45am

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:47):

powerful

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:47):

okay well, that's all I have for the meeting

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 09 2020 at 19:48):

Did we bring up "Reach out to the author of the error codes issue"?

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:48):

only in passing

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:48):

I didn't get to it

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:48):

so its rolled over to our next set of action items

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:48):

I say we call it early

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:48):

thanks everyone for coming :D

view this post on Zulip Ashley Mannix (Nov 09 2020 at 19:50):

Calendar is updated with the new time :smile:

view this post on Zulip Sean Chen (he/him) (Nov 09 2020 at 19:51):

So we're officially pushing this meeting forward an hour?

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:51):

yea, pending SIMD meeting time discussions

view this post on Zulip Jane Lusby (Nov 09 2020 at 19:51):

if there end up being conflicts there then we will probably try to find a new time again


Last updated: Jan 26 2022 at 13:46 UTC