Stream: t-compiler/wg-prioritization/alerts

Topic: #80289 Optimizations cause release version to not work


triagebot (Jan 12 2021 at 10:16, on Zulip):

@WG-prioritization/alerts issue #80289 has been requested for prioritization.

Procedure

apiraino (Jan 13 2021 at 10:11, on Zulip):

I would assign a P-medium but doing so would likely end up having this in stable at some point, than we have a stable-to-stable regression. Also, it looks like it's a windows only (iiuc) issue due to the default stack size.

apiraino (Jan 13 2021 at 10:13, on Zulip):

lzutao and Camelid helped a lot finding more about this issue, if anyone with more Windows hardware will eventually raise flags about this, we can increase the priority

apiraino (Jan 13 2021 at 10:15, on Zulip):

@WG-prioritization further thoughts on this?

rylev (Jan 13 2021 at 10:16, on Zulip):

Perhaps we should ping the windows working group?

apiraino (Jan 13 2021 at 10:23, on Zulip):

hm ... there's already a "windows" label, it is enough to get their attention? I'm checking the rustbot ping groups

apiraino (Jan 13 2021 at 10:24, on Zulip):

ah found it

rylev (Jan 13 2021 at 10:28, on Zulip):

(I can try to take a look myself if I find time today)

rylev (Jan 13 2021 at 10:28, on Zulip):

/me wonders if he can get some Windows VMs for people to use for Rust purposes

Joshua Nelson (Jan 13 2021 at 13:05, on Zulip):

For me personally, the issue is a) my laptop doesn't have enough memory to run a VM, and b) my fast computer is over a network and setting up a gui sounds painful. It's not a licensing issue really

rylev (Jan 13 2021 at 14:12, on Zulip):

I was more thinking having cloud based VMs rather than licensing for VMs that Rust people would run on their own machines

Joshua Nelson (Jan 13 2021 at 14:23, on Zulip):

ooh that would be really cool :D

apiraino (Jan 14 2021 at 11:06, on Zulip):

by the way, very interesting technical analysis in this issue

Camelid (Jan 15 2021 at 00:13, on Zulip):

I closed the issue by request of @sivadeilra. It appears the issue was with the user's code: a single function allocated at least 1 MB on the stack.

Camelid (Jan 15 2021 at 00:14, on Zulip):

(Of course, re-open if you think there's something up!)

Last update: Apr 11 2021 at 19:00UTC