Stream: t-compiler/wg-prioritization

Topic: pre-meeting triage 2020-03-26


Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:04, on Zulip):

The @WG-prioritization will be doing pre-triage in this channel.

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:09, on Zulip):

please allow me some minutes before starting, will probably be back in 5 mins

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:10, on Zulip):

meanwhile here is our procedure

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:10, on Zulip):

would be nice if meanwhile we are going over it we can fix it or improve it

LeSeulArtichaut (Mar 25 2020 at 18:11, on Zulip):

@Santiago Pastorino Do you want me to create the agenda for the meeting?

LeSeulArtichaut (Mar 25 2020 at 18:11, on Zulip):

Nevermind this is probably not much of a time save

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:12, on Zulip):

ok, back

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:12, on Zulip):

going to create the agenda

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:15, on Zulip):

https://hackmd.io/87lxD7SMTyibmFDtOFET0Q?both

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:15, on Zulip):

the template link was linking to a different template

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:15, on Zulip):

anyway

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:16, on Zulip):

so ... let's do first

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:16, on Zulip):

Go over unprioritized I-nominated issues (nominations are sometimes an implicit request for prioritization)

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:16, on Zulip):

Unprioritized no team assigned

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:17, on Zulip):

the list is empty

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:17, on Zulip):

Unprioritized T-compiler

LeSeulArtichaut (Mar 25 2020 at 18:17, on Zulip):

There are 5

LeSeulArtichaut (Mar 25 2020 at 18:18, on Zulip):

2 are toolstate breakage (miri and rustfmt)

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:18, on Zulip):

unpri nom 1/5: Some macro errors now include file names into the standard library (JSON). #70396

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:18, on Zulip):

LeSeulArtichaut said:

2 are toolstate breakage (miri and rustfmt)

well if you want we can get rid of those first

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:18, on Zulip):

let's do that and then we continue with the rest

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:19, on Zulip):

removed nomination

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:19, on Zulip):

left note: Removing nomination, as part of pre-triage we are looking anyways into tool breakage.

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:20, on Zulip):

added a note to push for do not auto nominate toolstate stuff

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:20, on Zulip):

ok let's continue

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:20, on Zulip):

unpri nom 1/3: Some macro errors now include file names into the standard library (JSON). #70396

Wesley Wiser (Mar 25 2020 at 18:21, on Zulip):

Is there a guide to what the different priority levels mean?

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:22, on Zulip):

I think we should push hard to change priority labels for next week :) or for as soon as possible

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:23, on Zulip):

there was a proposal to use P-critical

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:23, on Zulip):

for now on P-high goes for sure stuff that should block a release

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:24, on Zulip):

but also other important stuff that would be important to fix for next release

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:24, on Zulip):

P-low is like nobody will probably fix this, unless the reporter has time

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:24, on Zulip):

P-medium I'd say we would like to fix this at some point but probably not important for this release

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:24, on Zulip):

this is more or less my view on the labels

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:25, on Zulip):

unsure if that's documented

Wesley Wiser (Mar 25 2020 at 18:25, on Zulip):

That's similar to my thinking but I wasn't sure if there were actual meanings to the labels

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:25, on Zulip):

some things are kind of in a grey area

Wesley Wiser (Mar 25 2020 at 18:25, on Zulip):

This feels like a P-medium issue to me. Any one have other opinions?

LeSeulArtichaut (Mar 25 2020 at 18:25, on Zulip):

I can't remember if Niko talked about this already

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:25, on Zulip):

I think with P-critical some things would be easier because P-critical means, let's block the release on these ones

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:26, on Zulip):

Wesley Wiser said:

This feels like a P-medium issue to me. Any one have other opinions?

yeah but it's also a regression

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:26, on Zulip):

I'd say P-medium too

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:27, on Zulip):

would be nice to lay out a reason for it

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:28, on Zulip):

one thing to think about, would something potentially break bad because of this?

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:28, on Zulip):

in particular, if someone takes that file_name and tries to do something ...

Wesley Wiser (Mar 25 2020 at 18:28, on Zulip):

These are error messages from rustc though right?

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:29, on Zulip):

yes, but unsure if tools use this in some way

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:29, on Zulip):

I guess still is P-medium

Wesley Wiser (Mar 25 2020 at 18:30, on Zulip):

I guess there's a meta thing here

Wesley Wiser (Mar 25 2020 at 18:30, on Zulip):

This issue doesn't seem that serious to me

Wesley Wiser (Mar 25 2020 at 18:30, on Zulip):

But the PR linked that seemed to cause it has a number of other bugs linked to it

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:30, on Zulip):

:+1:

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:31, on Zulip):

cc @centril

Wesley Wiser (Mar 25 2020 at 18:31, on Zulip):

So while this issue is IMO P-medium, maybe we should recommend something be done with regards to the PR

Wesley Wiser (Mar 25 2020 at 18:31, on Zulip):

Should we include that in the agenda for the compiler team meeting?

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:31, on Zulip):

let's continue

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:31, on Zulip):

unpri nom 2/3: ICE when combining "\r", unicode, and unused parameter in format string #70381

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 18:32, on Zulip):

Please please don't assign it to me :D

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 18:32, on Zulip):

I'll cc petrochenkov & eddyb though

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:32, on Zulip):

@centril :+1:

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:32, on Zulip):

Santiago Pastorino said:

unpri nom 2/3: ICE when combining "\r", unicode, and unused parameter in format string #70381

I'd say P-medium too

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:33, on Zulip):

or P-low :P

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:33, on Zulip):

but given it's an ICE with something so simple I'd do P-medium

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 18:33, on Zulip):

I think this might have been a regression

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 18:33, on Zulip):

1sec

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 18:34, on Zulip):

yea; regressed in 1.30.0

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:34, on Zulip):

we could ping ICE breakers in case people wanna have fun

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:34, on Zulip):

ok, stable to stable regression

Wesley Wiser (Mar 25 2020 at 18:35, on Zulip):

I'm seeing an ICE in 1.29 as well

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 18:35, on Zulip):

@Wesley Wiser oh yeah, oops, 1.29.0, not 1.30.0

Wesley Wiser (Mar 25 2020 at 18:35, on Zulip):

P-low IMO

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 18:35, on Zulip):

(I just woke up)

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 18:35, on Zulip):

I suspect fixing it isn't too difficult; I sorta started looking at it but it didn't feel motivating enough to hack on it

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:36, on Zulip):

ok, let's do p-low

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 18:36, on Zulip):

does seem like a good issue for some new contributor to investigate though

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 18:37, on Zulip):

as a learning experience

Wesley Wiser (Mar 25 2020 at 18:37, on Zulip):

Is this E-easy or whatever it's called?

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 18:37, on Zulip):

I hesitate to call it easy, but yeah probably

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:37, on Zulip):

yes

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 18:37, on Zulip):

it's probably just tracing the error with debug!s

LeSeulArtichaut (Mar 25 2020 at 18:37, on Zulip):

Maybe E-help-wanted too? I doubt any team members will investigate?

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:38, on Zulip):

E-mentor and assign mentorship to @centril :joy:

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 18:38, on Zulip):

Fair :slight_smile:

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:38, on Zulip):

really?

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:38, on Zulip):

:P

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:38, on Zulip):

I was just kidding a bit

DPC (Mar 25 2020 at 18:38, on Zulip):

I can co-mentor :P

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 18:38, on Zulip):

hey look, give it to @DPC :D

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:39, on Zulip):

ok, I'd say if someone is willing to tag as E-something just do it :)

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:39, on Zulip):

let's go with the next one

LeSeulArtichaut (Mar 25 2020 at 18:39, on Zulip):

Is it so hard to mentor people? :o

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:39, on Zulip):

covid-19 internet is kind of slow

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:40, on Zulip):

unpri nom 3/3: Rust compiler panic in librustc/traits/codegen #70243

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 18:40, on Zulip):

p-medium like the other issue and let's add it to the list in the other issue

DPC (Mar 25 2020 at 18:42, on Zulip):

lmao i alrady got someone to work on the previous (ICE) issue :D

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:42, on Zulip):

can someone build a play with the example?

LeSeulArtichaut (Mar 25 2020 at 18:42, on Zulip):

Can do

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 18:43, on Zulip):

@Santiago Pastorino not necessary probably -- it will get fixed when the dupes get fixed

Ryan Levick (Mar 25 2020 at 18:43, on Zulip):

I was not available to meet, but I am interested in helping. If there's some way for a beginner to rustc dev can help, please let me know :grinning:

DPC (Mar 25 2020 at 18:43, on Zulip):

i could in a while

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 18:43, on Zulip):

and that requires lazy norm, so... not happening anytime soon

DPC (Mar 25 2020 at 18:43, on Zulip):

or LSA can

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:44, on Zulip):

ok, done with unpri nom

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:45, on Zulip):

there's this list For comparison, look at Unprioritized all-teams

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:45, on Zulip):

btw if someone have an opinion about the document please say, I'm not really sure what should we do with that list

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:45, on Zulip):

I meant, it's kind of non actionable

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 18:45, on Zulip):

There's also https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/70372

pnkfelix (Mar 25 2020 at 18:45, on Zulip):

So lets talk about this for a second

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 18:46, on Zulip):

which isn't an ICE, but nominated

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 18:46, on Zulip):

I've suggested P-medium cause sorta injected by unstable feature, but not dependent on it

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 18:46, on Zulip):

also not all that common

pnkfelix (Mar 25 2020 at 18:46, on Zulip):

Because I think @Santiago Pastorino and I have gone back and forth about this a couple times, but I've failed to communicate what the link was there for

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 18:46, on Zulip):

but I will look at #70372 soon myself cause I'm highly motivated to fix it :P

pnkfelix (Mar 25 2020 at 18:46, on Zulip):

My memory is that it was meant solely as a note

pnkfelix (Mar 25 2020 at 18:46, on Zulip):

not as an action item

pnkfelix (Mar 25 2020 at 18:47, on Zulip):

but instead, something to say "we are providing a focused subset of the issues for pre-triage purposes; over here is a link to a broader set of issues that we are not dealing with in this team.

pnkfelix (Mar 25 2020 at 18:48, on Zulip):

that's what the "compare against" is meant to say

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:48, on Zulip):

makes sense

pnkfelix (Mar 25 2020 at 18:48, on Zulip):

on the original document, which was just a hodge-podge collection of links we built up over time

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:48, on Zulip):

maybe we can split the document in two parts

pnkfelix (Mar 25 2020 at 18:48, on Zulip):

it made sense

pnkfelix (Mar 25 2020 at 18:49, on Zulip):

but in this document, which is more of a focused procedure

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:49, on Zulip):

something used meanwhile we run this meeting and something to sanity check stuff

pnkfelix (Mar 25 2020 at 18:49, on Zulip):

it does not make sense, unless we have a way to write footnotes or something similar

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:49, on Zulip):

pnkfelix said:

it does not make sense, unless we have a way to write footnotes or something similar

exactly, I guess I keep thinking this is non actionable because of that

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:49, on Zulip):

kind of wanted to build a step by step procedure

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:50, on Zulip):

ok, I'm going to move this to a sanity check section maybe

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:50, on Zulip):

let's go over regressions now

LeSeulArtichaut (Mar 25 2020 at 18:50, on Zulip):

There are no beta regressions without P-label
There is one nightly-regressions without P-label

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:50, on Zulip):

cool

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:51, on Zulip):

nightly regression 1/1: "file not found for module" #70314

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:51, on Zulip):

this one is not prioritized and not assigned

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 18:52, on Zulip):

probably already fixed

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 18:52, on Zulip):

(by me)

DPC (Mar 25 2020 at 18:52, on Zulip):

looks like a duplicate

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:52, on Zulip):

yep

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 18:52, on Zulip):

I was waiting for the issue author to confirm before closing

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:53, on Zulip):

fix already in latest nightly, right?

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:53, on Zulip):

was checking when was merged

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:54, on Zulip):

ahh ok fixed in nightly-2020-03-22

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 18:54, on Zulip):

definitely should be

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:54, on Zulip):

commented

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:55, on Zulip):

ok, we have ..

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:55, on Zulip):

Unnominate leftover I-nominated issues

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:55, on Zulip):

nom 1/2: "Add cryptographic hash of source files in debug info" #69718 is not a leftover and should still be nominated

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:56, on Zulip):

nom 2/2: Incorrect "unreachable pattern" warning. #70372

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:56, on Zulip):

centril you've mentioned that one

LeSeulArtichaut (Mar 25 2020 at 18:57, on Zulip):

Santiago Pastorino said:

centril you've mentioned that one

Did you mean "nominated" or did I misunderstand?

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 18:57, on Zulip):

If no one shows up in 1-2 days to fix #70372 I will fix it myself :slight_smile:

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:57, on Zulip):

@centril mentioned it above

pnkfelix (Mar 25 2020 at 18:57, on Zulip):

you know, I just realized

LeSeulArtichaut (Mar 25 2020 at 18:57, on Zulip):

centril said:

If no one shows up in 1-2 days to fix #70372 I will fix it myself :slight_smile:

The race is on

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:57, on Zulip):

centril said:

There's also https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/70372

:point_up:

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 18:57, on Zulip):

So you have a window of opportunity here to fix that issue, use it well :P

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:58, on Zulip):

hehe

pnkfelix (Mar 25 2020 at 18:58, on Zulip):

we could probably refine the search here to only look at nominated issues older than ... Oh wait, we'd want the nomination date, not the issue creation date

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 18:58, on Zulip):

@centril should we remove nomination given that is prioritized or you wanted to discuss it during the meeting?

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 18:58, on Zulip):

@Santiago Pastorino I think we can go with p-medium

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 18:58, on Zulip):

unless someone wants to raise it to P-high

LeSeulArtichaut (Mar 25 2020 at 18:59, on Zulip):

It already has mentorship + @centril might fix it, so nomination might not be needed?

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:00, on Zulip):

P-medium is fine IMO

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:00, on Zulip):

next ... Go over beta nominated

LeSeulArtichaut (Mar 25 2020 at 19:00, on Zulip):

There are probably more important issues

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:00, on Zulip):

I-BetaNominated no team assigned

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 19:01, on Zulip):

empty

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:01, on Zulip):

Skim I-BetaNominated all-teams

LeSeulArtichaut (Mar 25 2020 at 19:01, on Zulip):

The lists for beta nomination contain the already accepted ones

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:01, on Zulip):

Check if some issue tagged for another team should also have T-compiler and if so, tag it. (This is rare, however.)

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:01, on Zulip):

yeah I saw that and I think we should filter those out

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:03, on Zulip):

was going to add some T-compiler labels saw you did @centril

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:04, on Zulip):

done now

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:04, on Zulip):

Add all I-BetaNominated T-compiler to the meeting agenda.

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 19:04, on Zulip):

Aside, @pnkfelix -- any progress on https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/69573 ?

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:05, on Zulip):

btw, there's no way to exactly exclude the beta-accepted ones

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:05, on Zulip):

like this is the best you can do https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues?q=label%3Abeta-nominated+label%3AT-compiler+-label%3Abeta-accepted+

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:06, on Zulip):

well actually that filters one and not the other one O_O

LeSeulArtichaut (Mar 25 2020 at 19:06, on Zulip):

Is this a GH bug?

LeSeulArtichaut (Mar 25 2020 at 19:07, on Zulip):

Definitely not expected behavior I guess

DPC (Mar 25 2020 at 19:07, on Zulip):

a limitation

DPC (Mar 25 2020 at 19:07, on Zulip):

GH filters are meh

LeSeulArtichaut (Mar 25 2020 at 19:08, on Zulip):

Yet we rely on them for triage :confused:

DPC (Mar 25 2020 at 19:08, on Zulip):

yes we have to :confused:

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:11, on Zulip):

added stuff to agenda

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:11, on Zulip):

we need to automate this

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:12, on Zulip):

@pnkfelix have said that already :)

LeSeulArtichaut (Mar 25 2020 at 19:12, on Zulip):

What would that look like

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:12, on Zulip):

Go over stable nominated

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:12, on Zulip):

LeSeulArtichaut said:

What would that look like

the automation?

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:13, on Zulip):

let's continue this discussion later and in a different thread so we finish this :)

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:13, on Zulip):

Check I-StableNominated no team assigned

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 19:13, on Zulip):

nothing :tada:

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:14, on Zulip):

Check I-StableNominated all-teams

LeSeulArtichaut (Mar 25 2020 at 19:14, on Zulip):

Nothing still

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:14, on Zulip):

one, T-infra and already stable accepted

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:14, on Zulip):

Add all I-StableNominated T-compiler to the meeting agenda.

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:14, on Zulip):

nothing

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:14, on Zulip):

it's great to do work when there's nothing to do

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:15, on Zulip):

and a sign that this could obviously be automated so we avoid wasting time :P

pnkfelix (Mar 25 2020 at 19:15, on Zulip):

but it is oh so satisfying when the list is empty

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:15, on Zulip):

yes, that's what I meant

LeSeulArtichaut (Mar 25 2020 at 19:15, on Zulip):

There are no PR's waiting for our team either

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:16, on Zulip):

I need to note that on the agenda

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:16, on Zulip):

will do so

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:16, on Zulip):

there are 50 P-high T-compiler

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 19:17, on Zulip):

https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/69841 seems good to check in on in the meeting

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:17, on Zulip):

and 30 of those are P-high T-compiler unassigned

pnkfelix (Mar 25 2020 at 19:18, on Zulip):

/me needs to go AFK to help with kids. Thanks so much to @WG-prioritization and especially to @Santiago Pastorino for driving this forward

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:19, on Zulip):

going to note this down in the agenda

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 19:19, on Zulip):

I'd raise https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/68304 too

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:19, on Zulip):

cool

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:20, on Zulip):

I was going to ask you @centril ...

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:20, on Zulip):

If possible try to help to move them forward

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:20, on Zulip):

thinking for a little bit about what action we could take with this issues

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:20, on Zulip):

at least during this meeting

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:20, on Zulip):

of course out of the meeting we can just fix them :joy:

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 19:21, on Zulip):

Two points I think: a) push for someone to fix them, b) see if we can use brain power in mtg

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:22, on Zulip):

that means assign or I-nominate

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 19:22, on Zulip):

I think just adding it to the agenda

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:22, on Zulip):

yeah

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:22, on Zulip):

:+1:

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:23, on Zulip):

is there any other issue worth adding to the agenda

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:23, on Zulip):

we already have 3 or more ... unsure if we will have time to tackle more than those

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:23, on Zulip):

anyway, let's continue

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:24, on Zulip):

Stable-to-beta regressions

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:24, on Zulip):

that's all teams

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 19:25, on Zulip):

oh, one thing... let's consider closing https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/65577

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:25, on Zulip):

and actually all T-compiler anyway

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:25, on Zulip):

centril said:

oh, one thing... let's consider closing https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/65577

I'm lacking context, can you explain a bit?

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 19:25, on Zulip):

regressions in 1.38

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 19:25, on Zulip):

seems rather inactionable now

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:26, on Zulip):

yeah

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:26, on Zulip):

can you close it?

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 19:26, on Zulip):

ok

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:27, on Zulip):

Check Stable-to-nightly regressions (all! not just T-compiler)

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:27, on Zulip):

is there something worth raising awareness?

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:28, on Zulip):

well we never set a priority on #70314

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:28, on Zulip):

because we felt it was a dupe

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:28, on Zulip):

maybe we kind assign the same priority of the one we think it could dupe

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 19:29, on Zulip):

p-high then

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:29, on Zulip):

yeah

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:30, on Zulip):

Santiago Pastorino said:

is there something worth raising awareness?

I don't think there's, given that most are already P-medium, thoughts?

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 19:30, on Zulip):

agree

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:31, on Zulip):

ok, let's continue ...

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:31, on Zulip):

I-nominated T-compiler

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:31, on Zulip):

as sanity check, the list looks like the one we wanted to have and I'm going to add those to the agenda

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:32, on Zulip):

@centril give it a look just in case, given that you were adding some issues

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:32, on Zulip):

don't want to overlook anything :)

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 19:32, on Zulip):

I'm happy with the list

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:36, on Zulip):

added them to the agenda

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:36, on Zulip):

Check I-nominated all-teams

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:37, on Zulip):

this is another item that I'm not sure about, I guess I'd need to have a better understanding of what the rest of the teams do

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:37, on Zulip):

@centril do you have an idea?

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:38, on Zulip):

I meant, we can totally sanity check but unsure if it's a good use of time if other teams are taking care of those

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 19:39, on Zulip):

I think those teams can deal with it

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 19:39, on Zulip):

nothing stands out

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:39, on Zulip):

:+1:

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:39, on Zulip):

Unprioritized T-compiler

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:39, on Zulip):

:)

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:39, on Zulip):

Would be nice if we can get rid of this backlog and prioritize all of our tickets by some means

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:40, on Zulip):

I guess this is something we can take out and think how we can prioritize better or something but nothing to do in this meeting IMO

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:41, on Zulip):

Stable-to-stable regressions (all! not just T-compiler)

Wesley Wiser (Mar 25 2020 at 19:41, on Zulip):

We don't even have enough time to tread water IMO

Wesley Wiser (Mar 25 2020 at 19:41, on Zulip):

We'd have to do about 20 issues just to cover the last 7 days

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:42, on Zulip):

yep

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:42, on Zulip):

I guess Felix meant that we may be able ... by some automation or some way get rid of most of that list

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:42, on Zulip):

this is why I say, maybe something to plan and work async

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:42, on Zulip):

like we could also close stale issues

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:43, on Zulip):

Santiago Pastorino said:

Stable-to-stable regressions (all! not just T-compiler)

72 and 27 unassigned

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:43, on Zulip):

Check toolstate for outstanding tool breakage

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:44, on Zulip):

about this specifically ... does it worth to do this every week or do we need to do it closer to the release?

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:44, on Zulip):

and if we should do it closer to the release, when?

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:44, on Zulip):

@centril as part of T-release, opinions?

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 19:45, on Zulip):

(you could just move this to T-release instead)

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 19:45, on Zulip):

checking 1 week before toolstate week seems good

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:45, on Zulip):

centril said:

(you could just move this to T-release instead)

what do you mean? that we should not check this?

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 19:45, on Zulip):

though these tools get broken like 3-4 times a week

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 19:45, on Zulip):

@Santiago Pastorino yea

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:45, on Zulip):

ok, if you guys do this I'll just remove it

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:46, on Zulip):

@centril we need to remove automatic nomination of tool breaks

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:46, on Zulip):

unsure how's that done

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 19:46, on Zulip):

@simulacrum ^--- :P

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:46, on Zulip):

@rustbot?

simulacrum (Mar 25 2020 at 19:47, on Zulip):

It is inside the python script, IIRC

simulacrum (Mar 25 2020 at 19:47, on Zulip):

Ideally someone else (not me) would do that, it shouldn't be hard, I can review

simulacrum (Mar 25 2020 at 19:47, on Zulip):

but if no one else can then I guess I can maybe find time

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:48, on Zulip):

can check that out, how do you general test changes there?

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 19:48, on Zulip):

you make the change, and see if it works in production :D

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:49, on Zulip):

hehehe, in that case I wouldn't want to do the change because I don't usually do Python

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:49, on Zulip):

know Ruby though :P

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:49, on Zulip):

and the last item in our agenda ...

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:49, on Zulip):

Check perf regressions

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 19:49, on Zulip):

/me doesn't want to touch anything longer than 200 LOC in an untyped language ;)

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:49, on Zulip):

again, is this checked by T-release?

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:50, on Zulip):

centril said:

/me doesn't want to touch anything longer than 200 LOC in an untyped language ;)

come on!!! :joy:

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 19:50, on Zulip):

perf seems to be going well ^^

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:50, on Zulip):

it's not untyped, it's dynamically typed :P

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 19:50, on Zulip):

@Santiago Pastorino I'm being 100% serious about the untyped thing, but... ^^

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:51, on Zulip):

centril said:

perf seems to be going well ^^

:+1: my question is also ... should we remove this from WG-prioritization agenda?

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:51, on Zulip):

I meant, I'd remove it if T-release takes care of that

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:52, on Zulip):

but doesn't hurt leaving that here ...

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 19:52, on Zulip):

Hmm; seems like t-compiler to me

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 19:52, on Zulip):

but also I don't think we need to check it

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:52, on Zulip):

:+1:

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:52, on Zulip):

well, would leave it in the procedure just in case

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:53, on Zulip):

well ... this is all, thanks for being around and helping with this process :wave:

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 19:54, on Zulip):

going to tidy up a bit the agenda for tomorrow

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 21:38, on Zulip):

I guess this #70396 may have more priority after the comments we've seen?

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 21:38, on Zulip):

unsure if P-high would be too much for it

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 25 2020 at 21:38, on Zulip):

but it seems like it's a regression that may break some stuff

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 21:47, on Zulip):

@Santiago Pastorino I think labeling this as "breaking change" in the sense that it would break some stability guarantees is problematic

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 21:47, on Zulip):

we haven't guaranteed anything about the JSON output

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 21:48, on Zulip):

it would be nice to make improvements, but I think reverts should not be contemplated

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 21:48, on Zulip):

(as this was a hard PR to land in the first place)

centril (Mar 25 2020 at 21:48, on Zulip):

P-high is too much I think, yes

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 26 2020 at 12:17, on Zulip):

@centril saw you nominated #70420

centril (Mar 26 2020 at 12:18, on Zulip):

for the language team

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 26 2020 at 12:18, on Zulip):

:+1:

Santiago Pastorino (Mar 26 2020 at 12:19, on Zulip):

saw it in the comments now, thanks

Last update: Jun 05 2020 at 22:25UTC