I'm creating this thread to document toolstate procedures for the rustc-guide and to help with debugging them...
1) You will get a ping from the toolstate commit. e.g. https://github.com/rust-lang-nursery/rust-toolstate/commit/8ffa0e4c30ac9ba8546b7046e5c4ccc2b96ebdd4
2) The commit contains a link to the PR that caused the breakage. e.g. https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/64321
3) If you go to that PR's thread, there is a post from bors with a link to the CI status: https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/64321#issuecomment-529763807
4) Follow the
check-azure link to get to the Azure website for that build: https://dev.azure.com/rust-lang/e71b0ddf-dd27-435a-873c-e30f86eea377/_build/results?buildId=7780
5) There will be approximately 1 billion different jobs for the build. They are for different configurations and platforms. The rustc-guide build only runs on the
Linux x86_64-gnu-tools job. So click on that job in the list, which is about 60% down in the list.
6) Click the
Run build step in the job to get the console log for the step.
7) Click on the log and Ctrl-f to get a search box in the log
8) Search for
rustc-guide. This gets you to the place where the links are checked. It is usually ~11K lines into the log
9) Look at the links in the log near that point in the log
10) Fix those links in the rustc-guide
(by making a PR in the rustc-guide repo)
11) Make a PR on the rust-lang/rust repo to update the rustc-guide git submodule in
12) r? ehuss
13) Wait for PR to merge
This thread needs its own document in some guide?
Perhaps it could be an appendix in the rustc-guide? How meta...
I starred it so I hope we do not lose this thread.
Could somebody please look into the toolstate failure with Chalk please? Usually it is a straightforward refactoring... otherwise, open an issue on the chalk repo
@mark-i-m could I add me to the rustc-guide toolstate notification list?
cc: @Santiago Pastorino ^
@Yuki Okushi provide a PR and mention me on it
@Yuki Okushi Thanks! That would be a big help!
@Yuki Okushi The PR should look like this: https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/62541
Thanks! The PR is already opened and in the merge queue :)
Recent toolstate seems quite fragile, I think we should modify CI or something, any thoughts?
I very much agree
We used to have a hacky filter, but it was removed when ehuss upgrade mdbookmdboo
Would anyone be up to try to reimplement the hack?
By the way, we implemented a fix for this in https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/68791, so let's see if it gets better