Stream: t-compiler

Topic: planning meeting 2019.11.22


pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 14:06, on Zulip):

Hey @T-compiler/meeting -- planning meeting will be in 55 minutes. (Hopefully I or niko will send out another reminder somewhere in the 5-10 minute advance range; I just wanted to get the notice up now)

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 14:07, on Zulip):

you can see the current unscheduled proposals here; feel free to add your own by opening a new issue and filling out the template accordingly.

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 14:09, on Zulip):

(at some point we're going to need to work out our protocol for when these issues get closed. :smiley: )

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 14:53, on Zulip):

(at some point we're going to need to work out our protocol for when these issues get closed. :smiley: )

that is already known

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 14:53, on Zulip):

the issue is closed once the meeting has occurred, when the minutes are posted

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 14:53, on Zulip):

if there are no minutes, that's a problem :)

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 14:53, on Zulip):

or maybe you mean meetings that don't seem relevant

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:00, on Zulip):

Oops forgot to provide that ping to @T-compiler/meeting

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:00, on Zulip):

Well, meetings starting in 0 minutes

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:01, on Zulip):

Add a :wave: to signal that you're here!

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:01, on Zulip):

And we'll start off with five minutes for ...

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:01, on Zulip):

Announcements

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:04, on Zulip):

... no announcements?

mw (Nov 22 2019 at 15:04, on Zulip):

I'm in the process of winding down WG-profile-guided-optimization

mw (Nov 22 2019 at 15:05, on Zulip):

I've convinced myself that it works as expected now :)

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:05, on Zulip):

that's an ideal winding-down scenario. :smiley:

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:05, on Zulip):
nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:06, on Zulip):

might be a good place for folks to jump in (I've not caught up myself, I admit)

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:06, on Zulip):

if we all submit a PR to one crate... :)

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:06, on Zulip):

/me whispers, "It'll still take a while"

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:06, on Zulip):

okay then, lets get started. private-msg me if you want me to allocate time at end for any announcements we missed.

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:07, on Zulip):

here are the current unscheduled proposals

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:07, on Zulip):

there are 10

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:07, on Zulip):

one thing: next week is day after US thanksgiving

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:08, on Zulip):

I won't be here for sure

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:08, on Zulip):

ooh niko: maybe we should be using github labels to mark technical and nontechnical

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:08, on Zulip):

not sure if we want to schedule a meeting that week, i've no objection, but we should take into account that it will have reduced attendance

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:08, on Zulip):

one thing: next week is day after US thanksgiving

hmm. I probably will work that day. But what do others think, are there going to be people around?

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:08, on Zulip):

raise your hand here if you'll be around next friday

mw (Nov 22 2019 at 15:09, on Zulip):

I won't be available next friday

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:09, on Zulip):

Well lets look at the proposals and people can mark thumbs up/thumbs down concurrently with that.

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:10, on Zulip):

I'll take notes here: https://hackmd.io/eeIarEfkT_yVk4hZ7vBdQA

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:11, on Zulip):

that cut-and-paste did not work out in my favor

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:11, on Zulip):
nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:12, on Zulip):

we could go ahead and schedule Dec 20 too if we wanted :)

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:12, on Zulip):

the next week after that (Dec 27) seems like a good candidate to skip

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:12, on Zulip):

we could move the planning meeting to Jan 3

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:13, on Zulip):

in any case, shall we throw the options in here for people to click on?

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:13, on Zulip):

/poll What to talk about?

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:15, on Zulip):

is there any particular rust rush on rustc licensing guidelines?

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:16, on Zulip):

s/rust/rush?

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:16, on Zulip):

Hmm not sure, maybe @Florian Gilcher has an opinion

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:16, on Zulip):

I ask because, given the holidays you pointed out, it might be better to let that wait until the next cycle ...?

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:16, on Zulip):

I guess I would say there's not an imminent deadline, it's just been something that's been a long time coming

simulacrum (Nov 22 2019 at 15:16, on Zulip):

I think next cycle is probably fine, but it does need to happen

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:17, on Zulip):

or if there is a rush, then we should probably make sure we maximize the people able to participate

simulacrum (Nov 22 2019 at 15:17, on Zulip):

(next cycle is likely to be problematic as it'll hit winter holidays, right?)

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:17, on Zulip):

(and thus schedule accordingly)

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:17, on Zulip):

(next cycle is likely to be problematic as it'll hit winter holidays, right?)

well, I propose that we do our next planning meeting jan 3

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:17, on Zulip):

and we schedule for dec 20 as well

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:17, on Zulip):

so next cycle is next year

simulacrum (Nov 22 2019 at 15:17, on Zulip):

to be honest I'm not sure we need sync discussion -- getting review of it first would be good?

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:17, on Zulip):

However, its also possible that there is a significant set of people who ... don't care to be involved in licensing discussions and will just follow whatever the policy is that the experts establish?

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:18, on Zulip):

I think "premature, needs review" is a valid reason to hold off

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:18, on Zulip):

yeah, I guess that is the real point: Does this need to start off synchronous?

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:18, on Zulip):

that said, I think there is some value in taking some time to talk over what this means, so that we all understand it

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:19, on Zulip):

(but I'm open to "not everyone needs to understand it, having a written policy that a few people have reviewed seems ok")

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:19, on Zulip):

true. Its sort of like my algorithms class where the only obligatory lecture was the one on ethics that was given in tandem with a take-home test

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:19, on Zulip):

I am wondering about the OSS Fuzz proposal

centril (Nov 22 2019 at 15:20, on Zulip):

is the purpose of this meeting only to plan for other meetings?

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:20, on Zulip):

confirm

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:20, on Zulip):

@centril pretty much, yeah

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:20, on Zulip):

I mean I thnk in some cases we might also make decisions, if they seem unanimous

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:20, on Zulip):

i.e., I think it's ok to say "no meeting is needed, let's just do this" (or "we'll obviously never do this")

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:20, on Zulip):

and/or give feedback on what might make a proposal more appealing

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:20, on Zulip):

to that end, I was thining about OSS Fuzz

centril (Nov 22 2019 at 15:20, on Zulip):

my take on the licensing stuff: the document seemed uncontroversial... didn't seem like much to discuss?

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:21, on Zulip):

and wondering if there are some steps we can enable without a meeting

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:21, on Zulip):

can we close the "merge llvm.sideeffect" change issue compiler-team#177 ?

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:21, on Zulip):

wrong link

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:21, on Zulip):

or are we delierately keeping that open so that we revisit it when we have more data?

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:21, on Zulip):

we never had the meeting

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:22, on Zulip):

right, but we decided not to have it

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:22, on Zulip):

we decided to gather data and revisit whether we need the meeting

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:22, on Zulip):

did we ever gather data?

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:22, on Zulip):

okay. Sounds good.

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:22, on Zulip):

I guess I'm not inclined to close it yet, but mostly because I dont' want to forget about the issue -- we can track another way

mw (Nov 22 2019 at 15:22, on Zulip):

did we ever gather data?

still need to do that for the FF case

centril (Nov 22 2019 at 15:22, on Zulip):

I think it would be good to establish a plan for gathering and having a timeline so that it doesn't get merged 4 years later... (thinking of the floating point issue...)

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:22, on Zulip):

(I was not clear on whether we actually did intend to revisit in future meeting, versus solely doing async discussion)

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:23, on Zulip):

so looking at the list above there are some clear standouts

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:23, on Zulip):

IDE / major changes are the top two, rustc_interface queries close behind

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:23, on Zulip):

the IDE one needs work before we can do it, and I would want to be present, I think that means next week is a bad choice

centril (Nov 22 2019 at 15:24, on Zulip):

didn't we discuss maintenance & triage?

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:24, on Zulip):

It seems like that's an easy set to select, assuming we can figure out which one is appropriate for next week.

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:24, on Zulip):

(are we going to have a mtg Dec 20?)

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:24, on Zulip):

(that's also maybe close to xmas, not sure)

centril (Nov 22 2019 at 15:24, on Zulip):

if we would, I would show up

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:24, on Zulip):

didn't we discuss maintenance & triage?

not that I recall

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:25, on Zulip):

I mean not in a meeting

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:25, on Zulip):

it's come up from time to time

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:25, on Zulip):

oh I overlooked your note about Dec 20th

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:25, on Zulip):

lets take another poll

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:25, on Zulip):

thumbs up if you're going to be around Dec 20th

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:26, on Zulip):

Okay then, looks like we could and should do December 20th.

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:26, on Zulip):

so let's focus on next week -- is there something that's good for "reduced attendance"?

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:26, on Zulip):

I like the idea of starting fresh planning cycle with the new year

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:26, on Zulip):

I guess it's not that reduced, likely

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:26, on Zulip):

me too

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:26, on Zulip):

I feel like I would want to be present for all those "top 3" :P

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:27, on Zulip):

that's fine, now that we've got a fourth slot.

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:27, on Zulip):

lets assume we'll put all of the top three in the december slots

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:27, on Zulip):

what is a good wildcard outside of the top three for us to do next week?

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:28, on Zulip):

two thoughts

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:28, on Zulip):

I would have said REPL, but it looks like @nikomatsakis wants to be there for that too?

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:28, on Zulip):

I don't feel the need to be there

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:28, on Zulip):

I'm just interested to see some of the "left field" ideas get their hearing

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:28, on Zulip):

Also for OSS-fuzz

simulacrum (Nov 22 2019 at 15:28, on Zulip):

alexreg definitely needs to be there

simulacrum (Nov 22 2019 at 15:28, on Zulip):

for repl

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:28, on Zulip):

And I know that @Alexander Regueiro has done their side of the work when it comes to REPL, in terms of preparing a specific proposal

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:29, on Zulip):

(I sort of think we should be able to just "unblock" the fuzzing thing without a meeting)

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:29, on Zulip):

basically: Yes, let's do it, but let's find the best thing to fuzz first (I know there's been some discussion about it)

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:29, on Zulip):

Yeah, the fuzzing thing seemed like it might have just been looking to find out whose interested in helping?

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:29, on Zulip):

we don't need to dedicate a synchronous meeting to the fuzzing topic, I don't think.

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:29, on Zulip):

Well the author came to me like "is this a good idea?" and I was like "I don't know, let's put it there"

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:30, on Zulip):

I agree

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:30, on Zulip):

And I am personally interested in it, so maybe I'll reach out to them

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:30, on Zulip):

So maybe REPL, presuming @Alexander Regueiro can be present?

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:30, on Zulip):

Not sure if this time slot works for them

centril (Nov 22 2019 at 15:30, on Zulip):

seems clear to me that it (fuzzing) is a good idea but there are design choices... which might be best to find out experimentally

centril (Nov 22 2019 at 15:30, on Zulip):

time check: 30 min left

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:31, on Zulip):

I'm positive on enabling experimentation on a rEPL

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:31, on Zulip):

I would like to see people look for the least invasive ways to achieve that

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:31, on Zulip):

I assume you @nikomatsakis do want to be present for any discussion of licensing?

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:31, on Zulip):

I'm not sure if this proposal is that or not, haven't had time to thnk about it

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:31, on Zulip):

I assume you nikomatsakis do want to be present for any discussion of licensing?

Not really

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:31, on Zulip):

(because one option could be to use the time slot to have a synchronous discussion)

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:31, on Zulip):

I can try to catch up afterwards

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:31, on Zulip):

but it seemed lke there was consensus that this is maybe not worth meeting about

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:31, on Zulip):

(at least not yet)

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:31, on Zulip):

okay, true

Alexander Regueiro (Nov 22 2019 at 15:32, on Zulip):

@nikomatsakis Cool, give me 2 mins

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:32, on Zulip):

I think the " compile time analysis and assistance meeting" compiler-team#161 is one I'd want @nikomatsakis at

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:32, on Zulip):

nikomatsakis Cool, give me 2 mins

@Alexander Regueiro we're talking about scheduling REPL discussion for next week -- would you be avail next Friday at this time?

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:33, on Zulip):

I think the " compile time analysis and assistance meeting" compiler-team#161 is one I'd want nikomatsakis at

I'm actually thinking of closing that one

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:33, on Zulip):

because at least part of compiler-team#161 involves engagement with third party companies who want to help, and I think @nikomatsakis has more first hand knowledge about it.

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:33, on Zulip):

But yeah I'd want to attend probably

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:33, on Zulip):

ah okay, that's another approach to the problem. :)

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:33, on Zulip):

Although I do still think there's a problem there

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:33, on Zulip):

You want to close it because we've taken too long to take action?

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:33, on Zulip):

No, I'm just kind of leaning towards encouraging companies like Lyken (@eddyb's company) and Ferrous Systems to take up that work -- but I guess there is still stuff for us to talk about

Alexander Regueiro (Nov 22 2019 at 15:34, on Zulip):

@nikomatsakis Oh right. Yes, that should work.

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:34, on Zulip):

great!

Alexander Regueiro (Nov 22 2019 at 15:34, on Zulip):

Will give you and one or two others time to read the latest draft hopefully? :-)

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:35, on Zulip):

Okay then, it sounds like we'll plan on REPL meeting a week from today then

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:35, on Zulip):

I randomly assigned these days

what do people think? I guess we should check for availability from @matklad and @Igor Matuszewski re: IDE meeting

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:35, on Zulip):

Will give you and one or two others time to read the latest draft hopefully? :-)

this is the idea, yeah

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:35, on Zulip):

I won't be there but I'll make a point to leave comments before-hand

Alexander Regueiro (Nov 22 2019 at 15:35, on Zulip):

Okay great. Thanks!

centril (Nov 22 2019 at 15:35, on Zulip):

does REPL require a full hour?

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:35, on Zulip):

yes

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:35, on Zulip):

I mean, I don't know :)

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:35, on Zulip):

but I don't think we should try to squeeze in two things

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:36, on Zulip):

so one detail

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:36, on Zulip):

we're packing up our house on the 12th

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:36, on Zulip):

and I'm hoping that i'll be totally available on the 13th

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:37, on Zulip):

heh

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:37, on Zulip):

but I have to allow for chance that I won't

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:37, on Zulip):

which of the 3 would you prefer to schedule in that case?

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:37, on Zulip):

I think they can be rotated in roughly any order :)

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:37, on Zulip):

I don't know if that means I want to switch things around though

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:37, on Zulip):

but actually of all of them I might think IDE is best for you to miss

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:37, on Zulip):

I think I'm actually probably fine with the current random assignment.

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:37, on Zulip):

Yeah okay sounds good

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:37, on Zulip):

since I think there's a lot of us there who've been poking at it

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:38, on Zulip):

including yourself, and hence you have least to "learn" from meeting

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:38, on Zulip):

Okay then. Does that cover everything then?

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:39, on Zulip):

(I figure we can adjourn early if we've got the schedule figured out, and I haven't seen any requests for make last-minute announcements.)

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:39, on Zulip):

I can go and make the announcements

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:39, on Zulip):

as in, tag the issues with the scheduled times?

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:39, on Zulip):

But @pnkfelix, one thing, I think that there are no minuts from https://github.com/rust-lang/compiler-team/issues/186 ?

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:40, on Zulip):

as in, tag the issues with the scheduled times?

I have a procedure I follow

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:40, on Zulip):

documented here

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:40, on Zulip):

basically, tag the issues, create calendar invites, write a blog post

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:40, on Zulip):

But pnkfelix, one thing, I think that there are no minuts from https://github.com/rust-lang/compiler-team/issues/186 ?

I can put something together for those, I think.

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:40, on Zulip):

honestly just the comments from the issue suffice

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:40, on Zulip):

just transcribed, I think

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:41, on Zulip):

(PS, Thanks everyone for participating! :heart:)

matklad (Nov 22 2019 at 15:43, on Zulip):

I am available on Fri, 13th!

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:51, on Zulip):

@mw I think we need to do some prep for compiler-team#209 (and maybe the rustc-interface queries meeting, too)

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:51, on Zulip):

just transcribed, I think

should i just pull the trigger and merge my PR for this? Or is there a reason for me to wait for Travis to check it?

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:51, on Zulip):

did you add the weird header?

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:52, on Zulip):

yes, you did

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:52, on Zulip):

go for it

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:52, on Zulip):

I tried to duplicate what I saw in other PRs

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:52, on Zulip):

okay

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:52, on Zulip):

side note: I like how forge is basically a big mdbook

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:52, on Zulip):

and I wonder if we should migrate the compiler-team repo to that setup

mw (Nov 22 2019 at 15:53, on Zulip):

@nikomatsakis yep, we definitely should prepare for those.

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:53, on Zulip):

a search box would be nice

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:53, on Zulip):

I assume migrating to setup that forge uses would give us that for free

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:54, on Zulip):

presumably

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:54, on Zulip):

we'd have to figure out how to manage the dynamic content

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:54, on Zulip):

the working group check-in calendar, specifically

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:54, on Zulip):

although I wonder if we should adopt a different setup there anyway

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:54, on Zulip):

i.e., we were talking about creating designated topics

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:54, on Zulip):

(and I saw you did that as an experiment)

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:54, on Zulip):

but they have their Release Versions

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:54, on Zulip):

that is presumably dynamic content

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:54, on Zulip):

I think it gets regenerated periodically, yeah

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:54, on Zulip):

or somethign, @simulacrum told me, I forget

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:55, on Zulip):

it can be done, for sure

pnkfelix (Nov 22 2019 at 15:55, on Zulip):

(and I saw you did that as an experiment)

I didn't know what this meant at first. But this was referring to the Zulip topics for WG checkin notes

simulacrum (Nov 22 2019 at 15:55, on Zulip):

Dynamic content on forge is JS I think

nikomatsakis (Nov 22 2019 at 15:56, on Zulip):

oh, ok. Actually in any case it may have been @XAMPPRocky who was telling me about it (not on this stream)

simulacrum (Nov 22 2019 at 16:06, on Zulip):

Seems likely, I don't remember that :)

simulacrum (Nov 25 2019 at 00:50, on Zulip):

Seems likely, I don't remember that :)

Florian Gilcher (Nov 26 2019 at 13:31, on Zulip):

@pnkfelix given that we have a number of concrete licensing problems with the compiler (libraries bearing the wrong license, GPL code in compiler-rt), I have to say that I would like to not push it back.

pnkfelix (Nov 26 2019 at 13:33, on Zulip):

@Florian Gilcher okay, but is this something that requires a synchronous discussion amongst the T-compiler team? or can the policy be worked out by a subset of dedicated individuals?

pnkfelix (Nov 26 2019 at 13:34, on Zulip):

I thought that was the main point being raised during the planning meeting?

Florian Gilcher (Nov 26 2019 at 13:35, on Zulip):

I'm split. It's something that everyone has to be on board with and everyone with merge rights has to have an eye on.

Florian Gilcher (Nov 26 2019 at 13:35, on Zulip):

So a ton of it is also process.

pnkfelix (Nov 26 2019 at 13:36, on Zulip):

Yeah, I definitely think we should have a meeting to broadcast the policy

pnkfelix (Nov 26 2019 at 13:36, on Zulip):

and if I thought that we could develop the policy over the course of an hour, then I would say "sure lets take care of this in a Friday meeting."

Florian Gilcher (Nov 26 2019 at 13:36, on Zulip):

I'm not sure if broadcasting is enough, we also need to check quality in some way.

Florian Gilcher (Nov 26 2019 at 13:37, on Zulip):

I have a draft document around that.

pnkfelix (Nov 26 2019 at 13:37, on Zulip):

check quality of the policy itself? Or of code being merged into our tree?

Florian Gilcher (Nov 26 2019 at 13:37, on Zulip):

The code merged and also in the future.

Florian Gilcher (Nov 26 2019 at 13:38, on Zulip):

I don't think this was handled with appropriate care in the past, so I'm seriously unsure here how to proceed and how to establish trust there.

Florian Gilcher (Nov 26 2019 at 13:39, on Zulip):

That's no complaint on any individual contributors, I think a lot of things come down to people not appropriately briefed on procedures and repercussions.

pnkfelix (Nov 26 2019 at 13:43, on Zulip):

(forked off discussion with @Florian Gilcher regarding licensing: https://rust-lang.zulipchat.com/#narrow/stream/131828-t-compiler/topic/when.20to.20meet.20regarding.20licensing.20policy.2Fproblems/near/181920745 )

Siavosh Zarrasvand (Nov 28 2019 at 01:17, on Zulip):

Hi all, sorry for my absence. I have read up on the meeting notes. I can get started with a fuzzing branch. Also, @centril pointed me towards readings on Property Testing and GHC's approach. I haven't dive through all of that yet - it was quit a lot :slight_smile:

Last update: Dec 12 2019 at 01:40UTC